CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion
Forum topics can be anything related to SelectaVision CED's, and could include offers to buy/sell/trade, repair advice, historical anecdotes, caches of CED's you've discovered, etc.

Click on the Register link to join.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CED Player that uses a laser to read the disk

Post new topic   Reply to topic    CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bjmark1193

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 7:40 am    Post subject: CED Player that uses a laser to read the disk Reply with quote

I have heard that there are machines that will play a CED using a laser rather than a stylus. I have also heard that they are very expensive (more than $8,000). Does anyone have any information about these players?
7jlong

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are machines available that will play LPs, 45s, and 78s with a laser rather than a stylus, but I do not believe that anyone has adapted this technology for CED.
bjmark1193

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for your feedback.
scoodee

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The machine that plays records with a laser is called IRENE. I work for the Library of Congress and LC's AV conservation center in Virginia employs an IRENE machine to digitize damaged and/or fragile records. They also have several CED players for digitizing CEDs. I have not heard of anything that reads CEDs with lasers.
bjmark1193

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is good information. Thanks!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: