CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion
Forum topics can be anything related to SelectaVision CED's, and could include offers to buy/sell/trade, repair advice, historical anecdotes, caches of CED's you've discovered, etc.

Click on the Register link to join.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

need basic help, just found a RCA selectavision

Post new topic   Reply to topic    CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
April

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2005 7:57 pm    Post subject: need basic help, just found a RCA selectavision Reply with quote

I bought a RCA Selectavision and 5 CED's at a yard sale for $5. I should have guessed that it didnt work even though they said it did.

Anyway I am not even sure how to hook it up. I tried with a video audio in and out cord but no image or sound appeared. No cables came with it. Is this the correct way to hook it up?

Also does it take awhile to load up? I tried a few different ones for about 5 minutes, but all I got was a flashing L.

Any ideas? Is it worth trying to fix? Am I hooking it up right? Waiting long enough?

thanks in advance
jmbrinck

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2005 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You lucky dawg! Wish I'd been at that yard sale. Five bucks for a player and five discs is a sweet deal. All you have to do to connect it is screw in the coaxial cable that comes into your home to the "antenna in" coax port on the rear of the machine, and connect the "antenna out" with coax to your TV. If you have a VCR or DVD player just daisy chain it in that order. The CED player can be anywhere in that lineup. Also be sure to set the switch on the rear to channel 3 or 4, as applicable. And of course play the movie on that TV channel. If you're getting a flashing L it's a great sign it's working because it's telling you to "Load" a disc. What model player do you have? (Proper disc insertion varies between models, as some are motor driven and some completely manual.) The basic technique is to slip the caddy (the whole plastic cover the contains the disc) into the machine face up, then pull it out leaving the disc inside. I highly recommend Tom's CD for sale at CED Magic--and the web site in general. The more you know the more you will love this retro tech and become as hopelessly hooked as the rest of us. Welcome to the Magical world of CED! jb
Reinhart

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2005 5:08 pm    Post subject: Re: need basic help, just found a RCA selectavision Reply with quote

April wrote:
I bought a RCA Selectavision and 5 CED's at a yard sale for $5. I should have guessed that it didnt work even though they said it did.

Anyway I am not even sure how to hook it up. I tried with a video audio in and out cord but no image or sound appeared. No cables came with it. Is this the correct way to hook it up?

Also does it take awhile to load up? I tried a few different ones for about 5 minutes, but all I got was a flashing L.

Any ideas? Is it worth trying to fix? Am I hooking it up right? Waiting long enough?

thanks in advance

If the player you have is something like the SFT-100W, which has a lever, then you have to move the lever into the PLAY detent after you load the disc into the machine.

Move the lever from OFF to LOAD/UNLOAD, insert the caddy all the way into the player, remove the caddy, then slide the lever down to PLAY. To unload, move the lever from PLAY to LOAD/UNLOAD, then insert the caddy all the way into the player, then remove. Flip over to change sides and reinsert, if desired. Turning the player off involves moving the lever all the way up to its OFF position, but make sure there is no disc loaded in the machine before turning it off. You can turn off the machine with a disc still loaded, but it's a good idea to unload the player first prior to powering down.

Hope this helps. - Reinhart
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: