CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion
Forum topics can be anything related to SelectaVision CED's, and could include offers to buy/sell/trade, repair advice, historical anecdotes, caches of CED's you've discovered, etc.

Click on the Register link to join.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Dishonest buyer

Post new topic   Reply to topic    CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cbertra2

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 2:29 pm    Post subject: Dishonest buyer Reply with quote

I sold a player in excellent condition on ebay. When the buyer received the player he contacted me saying he could not get it to work. I ageed to refund his money and pay for his shipping back to me. Upon receiving the player I discovered he had installed a stylus cartridge that had a bent cantilever and the fly lead detached from the stylus, the fly lead had even turned black. This is not the cartridge that was in the player when I shipped it. He took the player apart and did not even tighten up the screws when he put it back together and broke a large piece of the case completely off. So he got my stylus cartridge and I got back a broken player with a junk stylus. The cantilever is even bent so bad it can't be rebuilt. Some people will go to great lengths to save a few dollars. I will post his ebay user ID after ebay resolves this.
matt carr

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

what a douche bag.
Rixrex

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed! But you don't have to wait for an ebay resolution to tell us here who this character is, since ebay has nothing to do with this forum. This way all of us can avoid selling to this goof.

You just don't have to post your ID. And besides, ebay might not decide in your favor, as they tend to not do so unless the eveidence is really overwhelming. One thing, if it arrived broken and was insured, perhaps you can make a claim.

I'm wondering if you even got your original player back?! I've seen it happen where a buyer got a bad unit from somewhere and then tried to exchange it for a good one on ebay, acting as though the bad one was the one shipped. Unfortunately, selling via internet has problems like this, so I usually record serial number, etc, and also place a hidden 'tag' inside the electronics unit that doesn't affect use and that only I know about. And then I don't refund until I get the unit back for inspection.
ae.tc

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's midknightrunner

Shocked Shocked

Last edited by ae.tc on Mon Jul 13, 2009 8:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
cbertra2

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 5:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will post his user ID once I know he can't leave me a negative feedback on ebay. Ebay will not allow me to leave a negative feedback on this guy, only positive or none at all.
xorcize

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you have been had. eBay and PayPal will ultimately side with the buyer/scammer.

Here is an article on Consumerist that explains the situation.
cbertra2

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The ebay user ID of this guy is midknightrunner, so put this guy on your ebay blocked bidders list.
I was on-line with ebay for about 45 minutes, so I will wait and see what happens. They did say they could remove his negative feedback if he leaves any.
When I received the player back from this guy and noticed he had swapped the cartridge I installed a new cartridge. When I tried to insert a disc it would only go about half way in and go no farther. I took the top cover off the player and there was a huge piece of styrofoam inside the player that would not allow the disc to be inserted. Why he put this in there I don't know. I know this is the player I shipped this guy because I recognized the scuffs on top of the player and the unique way I groove the pulley for the round belt option for the Toshiba made players. When I put the player back together, it played fine.
Rixrex

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a louse! You can't leave a negative mark, but you can leave feedback that is marked positiv, AND your comments can still be negative, or I should say, truthful. In other words, go ahead and leave feedback but state what actually happened in your wording.

Or just don't leave any feedback and add it up as a learning experience. Also, best to not give out refunds until unit returns. Maybe don't offer to pay return shipping unless unit comes back exactly as it was sent by you. I don't state that I offer return shipping if I have a listing up, but sometimes I'll still do so on an individual basis. Mostly when the item is damaged and the shipper pays it all back to me, or if I mistakenly sent the wrong thing or such.

I bet the styrofoam just accidentally got in there when he opened the case to put in the bad stylus. Or was it a really large piece?
cbertra2

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The styrofoam peice was about 1" x 3" maybe that is not huge but still a pretty good size. I guess I am to trusting when it comes to dealing with people I don't know, but I have learned a lesson.
I don't mention return shipping in my ebay listings but will refund if there is a problem. I had one person that won my auction for a Sears stereo player but did not have her PayPal account setup so I agreed to wait. After about a week I tried contacting her over and over but she would not respond. I filed a case thru ebay and she finally emailed me that she did not know when she would have the available funds. This was her first ebay transaction and thought she could pay when ever she got the money together. Odd thing is her winning bid was seventy dollars hgher that the next bidder. Shouldn't she have won by one bid increment?
Anyway I will document serial numbers of the cartridge and player from now on.

Duped in Indy
Rixrex

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

She should have won by a dollar or so, unless you had a resereve price set on it that she met with her bid.

Recording serial numbers etc is all good and isn't harmful to honest buyers. It's also a good idea to put something like a small unnoticable piece of scotch tape at a point where the case opens to see if it had been opened after returned to you, plus some sort of inconspicuous tag or small paper inside that only you would know about that doesn't affect operation.

Again, this seems a bit paranoid, but it doesn't hurt honest buyers and only protects you from dishonest ones. These things are important when selling things where you cannot meet and test out stuff.
cbertra2

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No reserve price was set, so I don't know how she won by such a large amount. Sure seems odd to me. If anyone fully understands the ebay bidding process and knows how she won like that please respond.
xorcize

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cbertra2 wrote:
No reserve price was set, so I don't know how she won by such a large amount. Sure seems odd to me. If anyone fully understands the ebay bidding process and knows how she won like that please respond.

If you could give us the link of the auction, we may be able to tell how the final bid was determined.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: