CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion
Forum topics can be anything related to SelectaVision CED's, and could include offers to buy/sell/trade, repair advice, historical anecdotes, caches of CED's you've discovered, etc.

Click on the Register link to join.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

SGT 200 makes awful noise when put in Load/Unload position

Post new topic   Reply to topic    CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
matt carr

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 12:01 pm    Post subject: SGT 200 makes awful noise when put in Load/Unload position Reply with quote

My SGT 200 makes an awful noise when put in Load/Unload position if the disc is spinning. It sounds like the turntable is just rubbing against the disc till the friction stops it. The manual just says to put it in the Load/Unload position when it flashes E but it really sounds awful. Is it supposed to sound that bad or does it need to be greased something?
RT9342

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're talking about the sound that resembles a car coming to a screeching halt, I think it should be okay. Unless someone else knows any cause of concern for the sound, I don't think it should be a concern. My family's SFT-100 had been doing that since the early 80's, and it never seemed to cause any problem.
DiscoKat

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got an SJT-200 and it does the same thing. I've tried adjusting the platter as best I could but spinning up you can REALLY hear the motor torque up and spinning down it does sound like someone applying the brakes. Other than that, it works perfectly fine.

I think we've just become spoiled by the almost silent operation of the newer technology.

Remember the 8-track KA-CHUNK when it changed tracks?
Remember the mechanical swallowing noise VCR's made when inserting a tape?
Super 8 movie projectors?

Very Happy
cbertra2

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I deal mostly with Toshiba and Hitachi brands of players. The Toshiba's make a terrible skidding noise when you hit stop. This is normal because as the platter lowers back down the disc skids to a stop on their edges on the three skid pads. This does not damage the disc.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: