CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion
Forum topics can be anything related to SelectaVision CED's, and could include offers to buy/sell/trade, repair advice, historical anecdotes, caches of CED's you've discovered, etc.

Click on the Register link to join.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

S-Video

Post new topic   Reply to topic    CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
matt carr

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 11:38 am    Post subject: S-Video Reply with quote

Has anyone ever tried to mod their CED player to have an S-Video connection?
RT9342

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried it once, and I didn't have much success. I still think it may be possible, but it requires more work than I was willing to put in at the time that I tried it.

If I remember correctly, the luminance and chromanance mixing occurs inside of an IC. I remember finding a chromanance signal on the board, but I think it was the 1.53MHz carrier from the disc, not the upconverted 3.58MHz carrier. Also, the luminance signal was way too low. But I'm sure that an amplifier could be used to increase the luminance signal, and even if a pure 3.58 MHz chromanance signal cannot be obtained directly, I would imagine that a differential amplifier could be used to subtract the luminance signal from the composite signal, leaving just the chromanance signal. The only problem with that, though, is that I think the signals are mixed prior to dropout compensation. But I could be wrong. I'll take a look at my service documents to verify all of that. It's been so many years now that I can't remember all of the details.
matt carr

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RT9342 wrote:
I'll take a look at my service documents to verify all of that.

Where did you get these "service documents"? I would like to get service manuals for my players but don't know where to get them. Is it legal to scan them in?
RT9342

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CEDatum.net sells the training manuals, which are mainly block diagrams and explanations, but I believe they can still sell copies of the schematic diagrams as well. That's where I got mine from.
Rixrex

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I looked into doing this as well, with my Dad who was in the electronics division with RCA in Indiana when they made CEDs, before he retired. We were interested in doing this also for Beta VCRs. Our efforts didn't pan out too successfully and it turned out that it really wasn't worth the effort, and there are conversion devices available on the market that did a better job just using the video output, even if it is in effect layered processing.
ae.tc

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's the ebay pseudo-solution

Post new topic   Reply to topic    CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: