CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion
Forum topics can be anything related to SelectaVision CED's, and could include offers to buy/sell/trade, repair advice, historical anecdotes, caches of CED's you've discovered, etc.

Click on the Register link to join.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Barry Mono-low?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jesse Skeen

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 1:20 pm    Post subject: Barry Mono-low? Reply with quote

Has anyone else here watched the CED videodisc of "The First Barry Manilow Special?" I obtained a sealed copy a while ago and while it's labeled "Stereo" and has a stereo signal on the disc, the actual program seems to be in mono. Not surprising considering it was made for TV in 1977, but I wonder why they would have released this as a stereo disc with a mono soundtrack. Anyways, I just got another sealed copy of this along with some other discs I needed, and want to sell the duplicate copy sealed so I don't want to open it to check, but am curious if some copies actually went out in true stereo?
I know of a couple other CEDs put out with a stereo signal but apparently mono content- I watched "The Man Who Fell To Earth" on my Pro-Logic system and all the sound was in the center channel, side 1 of my "Scrooge" disc has a stereo signal but the sound is still mono (side 2 is definitely in stereo), and side 3 of the 20th Century Fox (not the RCA) "West Side Story" has the same problem- a friend of mine bought this from Columbia House back when it was new, and he wrote in about the problem and they sent him a replacement second disc with the sound fixed.
The Disney "Pinocchio" disc and "The Best Of Judy Garland" both have a fake-stereo processing that many TV stations used on mono sources when stereo TV first came out. I've always found that annoying, though if you can monitor just the left or right channels separately and compare them you can tell how it worked- most obvious during crowd noise.
Amazingly enough, the 3 "Who's Afraid Of Opera" discs were shot on video in 1973 (possibly for PBS?) and are in true stereo- I wonder how and where they were actually heard that way prior to their videodisc releases.
Jesse Skeen

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2005 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Come on, NOBODY here will admit to watching this disc? Don't be ashamed!

Still wondering if side 1 of "Scrooge" was ever fixed too.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: