CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion
Forum topics can be anything related to SelectaVision CED's, and could include offers to buy/sell/trade, repair advice, historical anecdotes, caches of CED's you've discovered, etc.

Click on the Register link to join.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Some notes on using a CED player with an HDTV.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dumbchemist

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 1:24 pm    Post subject: Some notes on using a CED player with an HDTV. Reply with quote

I thought that I would share some notes on using a CED player with an HDTV.

Note 1: Converting the CED composite video to HDMI. I am currently using an Hitachi AVC08U to convert the composite video from 2 CED players to HDMI to feed into my HDTV. The AVC08U does a good job if you specify a 4:3 picture. A 16:9 ratio picture looks stretched too much.

Note 2: If you decide to purchase an AVC01U or an AVC08U, you will need the remote control whether it is made by Hitachi or not. The only control on the front of either of the AVC's is the power button. There is no other way to change inputs or outputs except with the remote. I have an AVC08U that I bought off Rixrex many moons ago and he included a learning remote that he had programmed to work with the AVC. I just got another untrained remote that is identical to the trained remote and I am going to attempt to train the new remote using the old remote. I will report on my progress on this thread.

Note 3: If you are going to use a composite to HDMI converter, you must know that the converter may lose its setup. I mean that some converters have a button on one end that you press to change the picture resolution to either 720 or 1080. I have one of those converters and had set it to 720. After a power failure, the converter changed over to 1080 which was not what I wanted. I have found that the CED picture looks better when converted to 720. At 1080, the picture looks too stretched IMHO. Where I am, I average one power failure per month and there is no telling when it will occur.

Note 4: About note 2: Some time ago, I bought an AVC08U off an E-bay seller. Before I did a BIN, I sent the seller a question: Was the remote included? Of course, the reply back was: YES. I got the AVC and there was NO remote. That is the reason I am going to attempt to train another remote to match the remote I have.
GEN10301
RCA SJT-200 SJT-400
DiskLord DP-830
jsdspif

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 3:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't understand the reason for doing the conversion?? I'm wondering if it is because the tv doesn't have a composite video input or are you trying to improve the quality of the video? I have all my composite stuff going into a switchbox and then into the composite video input of my tv. I guess my tv is 720 p and I have the option of different display "modes"(?) it seems like it's direct,stretch,zoom and one other. All of them look fine to me. My tv is not an expensive tv. Now I can't even remember the brand tcl I think? It's got roku built into it.
dumbchemist

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jsdspif wrote:
I don't understand the reason for doing the conversion?? I'm wondering if it is because the tv doesn't have a composite video input or are you trying to improve the quality of the video? I have all my composite stuff going into a switchbox and then into the composite video input of my tv. I guess my tv is 720 p and I have the option of different display "modes"(?) it seems like it's direct,stretch,zoom and one other. All of them look fine to me. My tv is not an expensive tv. Now I can't even remember the brand tcl I think? It's got roku built into it.
\

There is method to my madness. I have been using a Sony DA2ES AVR for about the last 3 years. It works fine as it has composite inputs and a composite output for my Sony Wega SDTV. A couple years ago I bought a Sony Bravia HDTV to replace the Wega and that started my upgrade path. The Bravia has 2 HDMI inputs and 1 component/composite input. I decided to upgrade my AVR and I started looking at the new AVR's with Sony being the preferred one. Almost all the new AVR's have numerous HDMI inputs; but, only 1 or 2 composite inputs (if that). This did not look good for the components I have with composite outputs (I count 7 sources). So, you would have 7 composite video sources going into an AVR with only maybe 2 composite inputs. I have switchers that I could have put into the setup; but, you are then negating the switching capabilities of the AVR. I also have 2 Blueray players and an HD-DVD player that use HDMI.

I then settled on a Sony DA3300ES AVR. While not the newest, the DA3300ES has the capability of upgrading composite video to HDMI. Also, the DA3300ES has a Control-S input and a Control-S output. It appears this AVR is about the last AVR that Sony has included the Control-S jacks on.

As an aside, I upconverted the video from one of my LD players and it is amazing how good the picture looks on a 16:9 HDTV.

I am not faulting what you are doing with a switchbox. There is nothing wrong with it as long as it fits your needs. I started this thread only to explore how the older composite video sources could be integrated into the modern HDMI world.
GEN10301
RCA SJT-200 SJT-400
DiskLord DP-830

Last edited by dumbchemist on Thu Mar 07, 2019 1:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
jsdspif

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That clears things up. I don't use my old sony avr but that would be an option for me. I actually run audio into an old radio shack stereo. Forget the model number now but it's from 1985 or so. The year before it had a different model number and then the one I have was the "new and improved" which was really the same except it had a remote control. I first bought the previous year with no remote but I found I need a remote. So I bought this one. these were bought about a year ago from ebay. At the time it was near top of the line I think it was 499 at the time. Anyway about a week after i got it it started shutting off so I changed all the caps on the power supply board and found some bad solder joints got it back together and the next day it shut off again. I remembered from when I got it that the fuse holder cap screws on, I reached around back and that cap for the fuse holder was the tiniest bit loose,so I tightened it and it's been working ever since. So I don't know if that was the problem all along. When it sees any power interruption, it shuts itself off as opposed to restarting when the power resumes.
dumbchemist

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 9:28 am    Post subject: Re: Ricky Help Softwares Reply with quote

johnson01 wrote:
Ricky Johnson is a Microsoft Office expert and has been working in the technical industry since 2002. As a technical expert, Ricky has written technical blogs, manuals, white papers, and reviews for many websites such as Ricky Help Softwares...

office.com/setup

Looks as if this thread has been SPAMMED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Aren't we fortunate? I am so pleased that Ricky Johnson is an MS EXPERT. Such information and maybe 50 cents could get you a cup of coffee at McD's. I think that it does not impress me.

I am a Netware man and have a very low opinion of MS. MS caused me to lose a job that I had had for 9 years as they convinced management to change from Netware to Windows as they have done with countless other businesses. Now, Novell is a dead company.

MS must be happy that they have eliminated all network server competition.
GEN10301
RCA SJT-200 SJT-400
DiskLord DP-830

Last edited by dumbchemist on Mon Mar 11, 2019 12:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
jsdspif

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I don't get is why do they bother? There's like how many active users. Maybe 10 of us?
dumbchemist

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jsdspif wrote:
What I don't get is why do they bother? There's like how many active users. Maybe 10 of us?

I do not know. It is the same with E-mail spam. One or tw0 a day may make you want to read them. 15 , 20 or 25 a day is too much and I delete them in bulk. You could always try to unsubscribe (which I have done) ;but, it takes a while to get off all the mailing lists.
GEN10301
RCA SJT-200 SJT-400
DiskLord DP-830
dumbchemist

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 5:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another reason for doing HDMI conversion is that I have a Sony UBP-X800 player that can play DVD, BD and 4K UHD discs. This player has only 2-HDMI output jacks and one digital audio output jack. There is no composite or component video jacks. I cannot use my current AVR with it as the AVR has no HDMI jacks.

Correction:

My Sony UBP_X800 has only one HDMI jack for audio and video. The second jack is for audio only. The digital audio jack is a coaxial jack. There is no Toslink jack.
GEN10301
RCA SJT-200 SJT-400
DiskLord DP-830
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: