CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion
Forum topics can be anything related to SelectaVision CED's, and could include offers to buy/sell/trade, repair advice, historical anecdotes, caches of CED's you've discovered, etc.

Click on the Register link to join.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Why No Off?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
planetcadillac

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 8:17 pm    Post subject: Why No Off? Reply with quote

There were always a few quirks about CED that differed from most every other consumer electronic equipment. While most of them were good there are a few that I have always been curious about. I have an ideal set up for CED with the SKT-400 and an all RCA home theatre system with a Palm remote. I have the original Selectavision remote that came with the unit plus the Command Center plus the Dimensia. For the life of me I cannot ever figure out why there wasn't an OFF feature available by remote. Unlike everything else, I must get up and turn the machine on and off manually. Also there is not really a stop. A pause that lifts the stylus but you can't just stop. But it amazes most people how well the SKT400 integrates into the rest of the equipment.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
cedmagic
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 12:39 am    Post subject: RE: Why No OFF or STOP Function Reply with quote

CED players depend on the rotation of the turntable to provide cooling ventilation for the cabinet interior, so that's why J/K players automatically return to PAUSE after the unit has been in the UNLOAD state for a few minutes. The J/K players don't have an off function (with a disc loaded) to discourage people from leaving discs inside the player for prolonged periods which could lead to dust build-up on the disc as well as completely forgetting there's a disc in the player.

These changes in the J/K line were made in response to deficiencies RCA recognized with the function-lever-equipped F/G models. With these models the function lever can simply be flipped to off to turn the player off, and later it can be flipped to on to resume disc playback at approximately the same spot, but RCA recommended against this practice. Besides the dust buildup, there's the possibility that an attempt will be made to load a second disc into the player. The loaded caddy won't go all the way in with a disc already inside the player, but it will go far enough to crack the original disc and possibly break some caddy-loading mechanical parts.

--Tom Howe
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: