CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion
Forum topics can be anything related to SelectaVision CED's, and could include offers to buy/sell/trade, repair advice, historical anecdotes, caches of CED's you've discovered, etc.

Click on the Register link to join.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Record Cleaning Machines... could they work on CEDs?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Spirantho

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 10:04 am    Post subject: Record Cleaning Machines... could they work on CEDs? Reply with quote

Hi,

Many of you on here probably also have an interest in records too, so you may know....

What would happen if you put a CED on a record cleaning machine? These are basically turntables that rotate as you wash the record with alcoholic fluid (usually), and then the vacuum kicks in and sucks up all the gunk in the cleaning fluid.
I seem to recall alcohol + CED = dead CED, if so you wouldn't want to do that. But I wonder what would happen if you just ran the CED disc through the vacuum? Or maybe used a CED-friendly liquid - perhaps 78 (shellac) cleaner (which is used because shellac also hates alcohol).

Has anyone ever tried it?
7jlong

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom's got a good essay about these concerns (under discussion of a CED patent for a physical method of cleaning the grooves).

<http://www.cedmagic.com/museum/ced-patents/4145718-patent.html>
Rixrex

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2007 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I second that idea!

Before anyone tries cleaning their CEDs with anything that can remove oils or petroleum, please take a good read about how the CED is protected with a silicon coating.

What I've found best is to get a bottle of 100% pure liquid silicon and wipe the CED with it with a small lint free cloth, or you could also use the silicon spray. It works great because it is a match to the coating and gently allows the pickup of debris, and maintains the protection.

I've cleaned discs with distilled water, which works somewhat because it 'floats' on the silicon and doesn't remove it much, but the liquid silicon is better and restores the disc to almost original finctionality. I buy it at a local hardware store in 8 or 16 oz containers.

I don't remove the discs by hand, but instead got a non-operative SJT-90 and load the discs to it with its cover off, and this allows easy access to the disc with a minimum of handling.
barry witham

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a collector in the UK. I have a friend who has a collectors' record shop and uses an ultrasonic cleaning tank for his vinyls with amazing results. Has anyone tried this on a CED? I am tempted to get one of my multiple swaps and give it a go. Let me know please if anyone has already gone down this path.
Barry
CHARLIEF64

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 1:13 pm    Post subject: CED cleaning Reply with quote

RIKREX ....

Could you give us details on the application of the silicone ? I've tried the spray and ended up with unplayable discs and a really dirty stylus. Do you apply it then vaccum it ? I've used GruvGlide with some success but I'm sure that silicone is better.

Charlie
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: