CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion
Forum topics can be anything related to SelectaVision CED's, and could include offers to buy/sell/trade, repair advice, historical anecdotes, caches of CED's you've discovered, etc.

Click on the Register link to join.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Movie splitted in 2 CEDs, but one is missing, why ?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Caroline

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 8:16 am    Post subject: Movie splitted in 2 CEDs, but one is missing, why ? Reply with quote

At a second hand store here in Amsterdam, NL, I found a box with CEDs
for sale, only 1 Euro a piece. The owner didnt even knew, what this was.
He had bought a very large inventory of Laserdiscs, which sold out very
fast ( no wonder at 1 Euro a piece ! ), and these "strange and heavy things"
didnt sold at all. CEDs are almost unknown in the Netherlands.
At first I thought, "wow", Superman, Return of the Jedi and West Side Story
for only 1 Euro a piece, but then I found out very fast, that all of them were incomplete. Only one of the two CEDs was in the box. So these movies are practically worthless. When I found CEDs at flea markets, I also mostly found
only one CED of a 2-parter. The other vanished. But why and where ?
Why is someone buying only half of the movie ? Or why is someone trashing
one CED of a 2-parter, but keeping the other. It doesnt make sense ?!!
Has anyone made the same experience in the USA ?
7jlong

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My guess is that the biggest contributing factor is simply unfamiliarity with the format. Unless you know to look for indications of two-disc sets, it is a relatively easy thing to miss.

With that in mind, I'm willing to bet that whomever took half of a set just didn't know that they'd need both. Probably figured that they were looking at two copies of the same thing.

Yes, unfortunately, this does happen a lot - eBay ads are riddled with mentions of "disc one only" and similar. A few of the times that I bought a bundled lot of discs there were often stray orphans. At this point I suspect that some of these are the result of other's efforts to complete some of their own broken-up sets by buying a complete movie and keeping whichever discs were in the best condition.

DiscoVision aficionados have been doing this for years, as the quality of the disc itself varied sometimes from side to side, never mind from disc to disc!
Rixrex

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed, it's the unfamiliarity with the format, and the poor guy who thinks he got the movie, later finds he only got half, and then if he goes back to get the other half, it's gone already.

I've noticed that, though most titles have printed on the front which disc it is, a few don't and only show this on the back.

I'd suggest a forum here at CEDMagic where we could post the disc 1 or disc 2 we have that we'd be glad to give up, and the disc 1 or 2 we are looking for. I personally would give up some of these for shipping costs only.

Or maybe something else along these lines?
RT9342

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen that before too. Actually, I made that mistake once, even though I was quite familiar with this format; I just simply forgot to check each title to make sure that I got all of the discs and when I got home, I realized that I was missing a disc from a couple of movies. Luckilly the missing discs were still at the thrift store I bought them at, so I was able to go back and get them.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: