CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion
Forum topics can be anything related to SelectaVision CED's, and could include offers to buy/sell/trade, repair advice, historical anecdotes, caches of CED's you've discovered, etc.

Click on the Register link to join.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Star Wars Mistake?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ketonic_dude

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 6:22 pm    Post subject: Star Wars Mistake? Reply with quote

Has anyone seen this picture before.

http://www.yameenmusic.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/01/ced-star-wars.jpg

It looks to me like they put the label on upside down and on a white caddy no less. Is this for real? How would this not have been destroyed at the factory? Anyone ever heard of this or seen this before?
ketonic_dude

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also the word STEREO is all caps and on mine just the S is capitalized. Some kind of prototype or test run?
Rixrex

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So where did that photo come from? Looks like no disc or spline is in that caddy when the photo was taken.
ketonic_dude

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very good question. I was adding the Star Wars disc to my database on my iPhone and it allows me to grab cover art off the internet...CED Magic Visual Database, but to do it I just do an image search. While searching for the Star Wars cover art I saw this white caddy and said wait a tick. I took a closer look and this is what I saw. If you go to the website that it is from there is an article from obviously a noobie. I'm not sure if this disc is his or not but he did upload a video of Star Wars on CED to youtube and it has since been blocked by FOX. The article was posted in 2009. I left a comment to try and aquire more information but only time will tell. Here is the link to the article and the picture link is below the article under Star Wars Cover. Deff strange.

http://www.yameenmusic.com/blog/2009/01/ced-the-lasderdisc-of-phonographs/

As for the spine, it actually looks like the disc is sitting on solid ground yet there are no tabs on the ends? Also a hole on the top where the finger grip would have been as if it had been hung up for display or something. Very odd indeed.
blindfury420

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks like some of the posters I have. Displays at rental stores but it looks like someone rounded wrong corners and hung it from ceiling with hole ahha!
The two square corners where disc would exit with caddy look like bent cardboard?

McMicheal 5001h
Hitachi VIP202P
JCP 686-5705
RCA SKT265, SKT300
RCA SJT400X, SJT425
philburque46

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 4:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe it was a fake disc that they had in stores that sat on top of a player as a visual aid so people knew what a CED disc looked like, without the store having to worry about putting an actual disc out that could be stolen or broken.
Matt Fisher

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

blindfury420 wrote:
It looks like some of the posters I have. Displays at rental stores but it looks like someone rounded wrong corners and hung it from ceiling with hole ahha!
The two square corners where disc would exit with caddy look like bent cardboard?

Yes, the lower right corner is clearly bent cardboard. Looks like a promotional item to me that would hang from the ceiling.
ketonic_dude

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It does kinda look like bent cardboard but I've had caddy't that get smoshed like that in shipping and stuff too. You wouldn't think the plastic in the caddy's could crumple like that but it does. This one does look more like cardboard or even a foam of some sort. Either way they put the label on upside down.
Jesse Skeen

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's definitely not a real caddy, but just something that would be hung for a store display. Notice the CED logo is upside-down and backwards- the small logo on the back cover of Pink Floyd at Pompeii was printed like that.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: