CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion
Forum topics can be anything related to SelectaVision CED's, and could include offers to buy/sell/trade, repair advice, historical anecdotes, caches of CED's you've discovered, etc.

Click on the Register link to join.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What's wrong?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2004 7:09 pm    Post subject: What's wrong? Reply with quote

Hi, I have an RCA SelectaVision VideoDisc Player SFT100(W) and it seems to have a problem. While playing movies, it goes from the normal color to black and white to completely different colors over and over and over again. It aslo skips up every now and then and comes up with massive static (but this is much less common, only happens 1-2 per side, the other happens constantly). I don't know what is wrong. The discs were formerly stacked rather than put on their side. I don't know if its the discs or the player itself. Any ideas? Thanks

kevin
analog.tv

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2004 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the same problem. See my earlier post which Tom addressed. The discs' bane is to skip, especially if they were handled with little care. The static areas on them are usually where the surface of the disc is gently abraded below the information area on the surface. Gently pull out the record and you will see where and why the problem exists. Many that were stored flat have noisy play in the center bands--- between the 20- and 35- minute areas. The caddy sagged enough to touch the record. They IS what they IS. CRAIG

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2004 9:52 pm    Post subject: Alright, but... Reply with quote

I read his post. And I'm glad the problem is known, but exactly how would go about fixing this? I'd preferably not have to take it to repair shop. If its possible, can i fix it on my own? thnx

kevn
wisnewskimage

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2004 2:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunatly, the discs have probably been damaged beyond repair. If the discs are showing static, the actual information has been rubbed off the disc. The skipping might be reduced using special disc cleaning equipment like the Nitty-Gritty. www.cedcentral.com has some information on this subject.
cedmagic
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2004 12:37 am    Post subject: RE: Fixing Color Shift on SFT100 Player Reply with quote

If the color shift problem originates in the turntable magnetic ring, the procedure would be to replace the turntable with a known-good one. It would probably be easier to get a whole new player under these circumstances, but before installing a new turntable, make sure you've tried these solutions:

1) Lubricate the turntable shaft. Ideally the turntable should be removed to do this, but an alternative procedure not requiring removal can be found here:
http://www.cedmagic.com/tech-info/repair-solutions.html#fg-unlubricated-turntable-shaft

2) Confirm the spacing between the two motor poles to be 0.400" +/- 0.015" and the spacing between the motor poles and the turntable magnetic ring to be between 0.015" and 0.050". This later measurement requires a difficult-to-find RCA Synchronizer Plate Gauge that can be improvised by cutting a quarter "pie slice" out of an old turntable with a hack saw.

3) Replace the turntable drive belt. RCA OEM belts are available from CEDatum:
http://www.ccrtc.com/technology/cedatum/

4) Make sure the turntable belt is riding on the crown or center of the turntable drive pulley.

--Tom Howe
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: