CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion
Forum topics can be anything related to SelectaVision CED's, and could include offers to buy/sell/trade, repair advice, historical anecdotes, caches of CED's you've discovered, etc.

Click on the Register link to join.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Disc side discrepancy and stylus possible undesired playback

Post new topic   Reply to topic    CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
louis cortez

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 2:38 pm    Post subject: Disc side discrepancy and stylus possible undesired playback Reply with quote

Does anyone know why some 2 disc movie set i.e. The Right Stuff say (insert other end in player)? And if any single films come with this direction? What if you know someone or a family member especially a child were to load the disc on the it saying to (insert other end in player)? Will they disable the player or affect playback? The skipping I was informed of already. Does anyone else know about faint white transparent almost bar looking bars across the screen horizontally and faint white specs that look similar to a VCR tracking itself manually or physically. The white dots themselves are salt size granules or ground Parmesan cheese or a liittle bit smaller. Might it be the stylus because I just got a SGT075 and inside I found an empty box with a RCA #154100 stylus stereo and it really requires a #149000 mono and I am thinking this empty box is the current stylus are there any special numbers ,markings,or other possible identification features to identify the mono or stereo stylus? Someone suggested cleaning the stylus but never described the process. What would anyone recommend doing for these playback issues and how do you recommend self removing impurities on the stylus? Sincerely new CED Player owner.

SGT075 Confused Confused Confused
blindfury420

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are many films with this warning on them! Likely cause people just didn't know after they bought it hahah. I don't think you can damage it but it is possible probably as you could damage the plastic caddy extractor guides, which they don't make anymore for sure.

I'd need pictures to better guess but it really sounds like you need to just send your stylus to cedatum so he can clean or repair it. Way easier than tryin yourself but you can try if you like! from cedatum

With a little care you can clean your stylus tip at home. Examine the tip under x20 magnification ( A student grade microscope will do this ). If you see deposit on the stylus tip, carefully remove it with fine artists brush. Dipping the brush in isopropyl alcohol may help to remove stubborn deposits.
CEDatum offers you a free stylus evaluation and report. We want to keep your stylus working. The last ones were made in the mid 1980's.

McMicheal 5001h
Hitachi VIP202P
JCP 686-5705
RCA SKT265, SKT300
RCA SJT400X, SJT425
louis cortez

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply for worn stylus Reply with quote

Thanks Blindfury for the info
blindfury420

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I added more info in an edit in above post just in case!

McMicheal 5001h
Hitachi VIP202P
JCP 686-5705
RCA SKT265, SKT300
RCA SJT400X, SJT425
louis cortez

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 5:44 pm    Post subject: Where is edited info? Reply with quote

I don't see any edited info on this post or how do I get it your edited version?
blindfury420

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Then I edited it in time and you got to see all of it hahah!

McMicheal 5001h
Hitachi VIP202P
JCP 686-5705
RCA SKT265, SKT300
RCA SJT400X, SJT425
Beetlescott

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Louis, It is my opinion that blindfury will be the one to take this format into the next generation. He is very good with recommendations, and repairs. If were you though, i'd send my stylus to CEDatum. Like Ryan (blindfury) said, the guys at CEDatum want to keep this format going. One thing you will need to realize is you are going to see some "salt specks", It is normal. I'm not sure about the lines. Your player is a mono, as you know, and the correct stylus is the 149000. The 154100 is the stereo version. The good news is, it will work just fine in your player! Good luck with making yourself familiar with your machine!
SKT-100
blindfury420

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the kind words Scott! I do hope to be one of the people to help carry on ced player fixing and helping!

McMicheal 5001h
Hitachi VIP202P
JCP 686-5705
RCA SKT265, SKT300
RCA SJT400X, SJT425
louis cortez

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 10:25 pm    Post subject: About how much for stylus Reply with quote

So about how much is a CEDatum repair rough estimation? And how much is a replacement rough estimate? Also I do not wan't to send it in and not be able to pay for it while my stylus is being held hostage.And then how will I get my CED fix when I'm jonesing. Thank you Beetlescott and Blindfury.
blindfury420

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For them to look at it and tell you whats wrong its free, just shipping on your part. I cant remember cleaning or repairing prices at the moment ($8-24?), but a full on rebuild will cost you $34 dollars which is a hell of a deal for the best stylus you'll ever get!

McMicheal 5001h
Hitachi VIP202P
JCP 686-5705
RCA SKT265, SKT300
RCA SJT400X, SJT425
louis cortez

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 10:40 pm    Post subject: that is fair Reply with quote

I'm hooked and sold.I like CEDatum already because they seem to charge fair prices and won't take food out of my CED players mouth. Very Happy
louis cortez

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got what I was doing wrong .I placed my Player SGT075 on those portable wooden tables that you eat lunch on or dinner in your room or living room while you watch T.V. I noticed my player wobbling or gyrating while playing because the little table was not stable enough for the turntable. So I moved it to a level and secure so it doesn't wobble and the picture cleared up a bit where I can notice. If I would of left it on that table it would have went out alignment or something not good would of happened right?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: