CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion
Forum topics can be anything related to SelectaVision CED's, and could include offers to buy/sell/trade, repair advice, historical anecdotes, caches of CED's you've discovered, etc.

Click on the Register link to join.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

stylus might be different

Post new topic   Reply to topic    CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
louis cortez

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 6:15 pm    Post subject: stylus might be different Reply with quote

My name is Louis I just got my first CED player a RCA SGT075 Mint condition with 76 Video Discs. But when I opened the box I found a stereo stylus cartridge empty just the box stock #154100. But you see the player is mono and I am afraid this might be the one inside my player, the stereo 154100 model stylus. Will this stylus if inside affect playback or my machine or how would I know if it is the mono stylus or the stereo one with the above stock number.Plus I can see what I describe as faint lines across the width of the television is this the format since I heard it can be of VHS or less than quality picture?
7jlong

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello -

The 149000 and 154100 are basically interchangeable. The decoding of the stereo signal on later models happens inside the player itself; there is no significant technical difference between the 149000 and 154100 stylii. You won't hurt anything by putting the 154100 in your 075.

As for the picture quality, there are any number of factors that can contribute to picture problems when it comes to Selectavision. Dirty needle, worn needle, dirty disc, worn disc, dusty circuits, grounding problems in your system... the list goes on and on, and troubleshooting will depend when it happens (beginning of a disc? end of a disc? entire disc?), how bad it is, if different discs have different results, etc. There is a wealth of info in the forums and at the main CEDMagic site for troubleshooting - just search on "wavy picture SGT" or "horizontal lines 075" etc and you'll find some leads.

Also, if you haven't looked at the stylus in your machine, it might be worth popping open the little door and taking a look. It may just be a bit goobered up from age or use. You can use the most delicate method you can think of to dislodge any particularly large crud, but be very very careful! It isn't the most fragile thing in the world, but it's close. I have cleaned off stylii successfully but if you're squeamish it might be best to check in with John at CEDatum - he can help. cedatum@ccrtc.com

I think you were also asking what to expect from Selectavision in terms of picture quality?

It often looks worse than it really is when plugged directly into a newer panel TV. Long story as to why that's the case, but it just tends to be true. Plug it into an older tube TV and it looks pretty damn good indeed.
Generally, Selectavision competed with VHS in terms of picture quality - and that would be a very, very well mastered prerecorded VHS tape running at SP. Like all formats, it depends on the mastering, and many titles were freshly duped from master tapes and/or film just for CED. Some of them look quite nice - within reasonable expectations.

I would also recommend you get used to a moderate level of jerky skipping and jumping in picture/sound - it can be a bear to tame on certain discs/players. All part of the charm.
louis cortez

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 3:21 am    Post subject: Found out mine requires 154100 Reply with quote

I just read where you install the stylus and it says to use part or stock #154100. So it would be stupid just to use a 149000 just for nostalgia sake?
7jlong

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, let me put it this way - if I could get a 154100 for $25 or a 149000 for $40 I sure wouldn't waste the money on the 149 just to be period-accurate!
louis cortez

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 11:42 am    Post subject: 7jlong did you read my email Reply with quote

Hey buddy (7jlong) did you get my email about those two players and movies taking up space. I know the post is 3 yrs old but I thought it be worth a shot since I saw no replies I live very close to you (Chicago). Let me know .Thank you for your time and help.
7jlong

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Umm... are you sure you've got the right guy? I did have some equipment posted on these boards over the years, but I didn't get an email and am not particularly close to Chicago (I'm in Boston, actually).

As far as any old posts of mine are concerned - anything I had on offer was claimed or retained. Sorry!
louis cortez

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did get you mixed up sorry
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: