CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion
Forum topics can be anything related to SelectaVision CED's, and could include offers to buy/sell/trade, repair advice, historical anecdotes, caches of CED's you've discovered, etc.

Click on the Register link to join.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Caddy cleaning & label destruction?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rideauwrangler

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 11:54 am    Post subject: Caddy cleaning & label destruction? Reply with quote

Hey all....

starting to try and clean-up a few of the "rougher" ceds in my collection and have started with the recommended "goo-gone" product. I have been using the "goo-gone" with only moderate success. It is removing grime, stains, marker, est off the caddys but by no means is doing a perfect job......am I just not giving enough elbow grease & time and should keep working on the discoloured areas with this product? Or has anyone been using a different product for caddy cleaning with more success?

[b]ALSO[/b]: I have tried applying the "goo-gone" to price-tags and other stickers applied on-top of the ced-labels in an attempt to remove them without damaging the ced label....I am not confident about this though......has anyone been using "goo-gone" for removing stickers with success? Should I be worried about the "goo-gone" damaging or discoloring the ced-label? I just don't want to cause more damage than good in my cleaning efforts.......

[b]AND LASTLY[/b]: presumably there is no risk to damaging the actual ced inside the caddy during these cleaning efforts as long as I am not using steam or heat right? Using chemical-based cleaning products like "goo-gone" on the caddy exterior poses no risk to the ced itself right?

CHEERS!
rideauwrangler

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 5:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

glad to see this thread was popular lol
blindfury420

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't tried to clean the outside of a caddy with anything but brillianze so I don't know anything about the goo gone. I really only get dirt or small marks off and it wont rub colors on to the rag I'm using so I feel safe with it hahah. Haven t tried writing as I avoid markered caddies Cool I would assume you'd be ok as long as none got on disc and it isn't eating the caddy away in front of your eyes! Don't press hard on the caddy near the middle either!

McMicheal 5001h
Hitachi VIP202P
JCP 686-5705
RCA SKT265, SKT300
RCA SJT400X, SJT425
7jlong

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your success with caddy cleaning is going to depend on a number of factors - namely the nature of the stain and its age. Some old dust and grime shouldn't be too tough to tackle, but if your discs once lived with a smoker for more than 5 years you're in for a battle.

Goo Gone is a good way to go after price stickers or similar, but I'm not sure I would bother with it for general caddy cleaning. I find it a little runny and hard to manage.

Windex is OK on the edges of the caddy, but definitely keep it away from the label. Use a soaked cloth; don't spray directly.

The caddy labels seem to me to be a little more robust than your average paper label, so I usually dampen a cloth very, very lightly with a very mild detergent/water solution and give it a once-over or two. Big chunks of dirt, sure, I'll go a little rough on those - but for general cleanup a light touch gets the best results without aging the label any further.

I would be inclined to remove the disc altogether while cleaning the caddy. Better safe than sorry. Also gives you a chance to inspect the disc and clean off any particularly large bits of dust (I recommend a very, very soft camel hair paint brush for this - again, with the lightest touch).

I also find that putting down "problem discs" for a while and coming back for another round later yields good things.

Tom recommends a product called Kleenmaster Brillianize for caddies. Haven't tried it myself, but if anyone would know...
blindfury420

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

7jlong wrote:

Tom recommends a product called Kleenmaster Brillianize for caddies. Haven't tried it myself, but if anyone would know...

I just said up above I used it! Wink It works pretty good for minor cleaning and it doesn't let colors run on caddy label!

McMicheal 5001h
Hitachi VIP202P
JCP 686-5705
RCA SKT265, SKT300
RCA SJT400X, SJT425
rideauwrangler

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I appriciate the info guys......I saw the Brillianize listed on cedmagic of course but I didn't track it down...indeed just did a quick search and there are few retailers carrying it in Ottawa; there is one however so I guess I'll just have to give them a call.......

I too will avoid stained ced's in the future, especially for individual purchases; however I have been buying up local bulk-lots and as such have ended up with a few batches of shitty caddys (and perhaps the discs themselves are also toast but I won't know that until i play them)...
blindfury420

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can always ebay the brillianze! I get ya too cause you never know what you will get in a bulk buy.. good or bad!

McMicheal 5001h
Hitachi VIP202P
JCP 686-5705
RCA SKT265, SKT300
RCA SJT400X, SJT425
7jlong

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

blindfury420 wrote:
I just said up above I used it!

Indeed - your post went up while I was still composing mine. Oops!
blindfury420

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No prob, you are exactly right though too. If anyone would know, it would be the big man TOM!

McMicheal 5001h
Hitachi VIP202P
JCP 686-5705
RCA SKT265, SKT300
RCA SJT400X, SJT425
Beetlescott

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about Mr. Clean magic eraser on the plastic part? It will whiten the caddy nicely, (unless it's black or blue) you could use it lightly on the paper part, but you would have to be careful.
SKT-100
rein-o

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have used bestine for sticky removal, you can get it at an art supply store.
works great on stickers, tape etc. but it still has to be sticky, if it's old and dry it won't work.

i'm new to these CEDs, i collect LDs.
i just picked up a bunch and will look into getting a player.

as for the CEDs what is the best way to clean the caddys? just the damp cloth etc.
also what other things do i have to know or look into / out for.
thanks Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: