CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion
Forum topics can be anything related to SelectaVision CED's, and could include offers to buy/sell/trade, repair advice, historical anecdotes, caches of CED's you've discovered, etc.

Click on the Register link to join.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CED's vs Plasma

Post new topic   Reply to topic    CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Alchemy

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 8:31 pm    Post subject: CED's vs Plasma Reply with quote

Watched Zombie on the new 60"Plasma tv tonight and seems to be a bit of a compatibility issue. Every so often the screen would go black rapidly (flickering) then would play fine for a while and then do it again.
I've been playing LaserDiscs nightly and have no issue, this was the first CED though.

Any thoughts as to a work around? Later this week I will be moving the A/V gear so I will be running the LD/CED/DVD/DVHS through my A/V receiver. Maybe the upconverting will minimize the issue?
7jlong

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, and this is just a guess, CED players mostly don't send any kind of signal unless the stylus is on the disk. They don't have a buffer to smooth out skips or other signal problems - either there's a carrier coming down the pipeline, or nothing, or confusing (to your plasma) garbage from surface imperfections or skips.

So your plasma may be hitting brief patches of trouble on the disc which it interprets as no signal (or so bad that it gives up) and goes to a black screen - and if it is choppy, it might explain the flicker.

With older TVs there usually wasn't any circuitry deciding whether or not there was a valid signal, so all kinds of weirdness - a skipping CED, snow, etc would just be passed along for all to see. The downfall of newer electronics being "clever". If you still have a CRT around it might be interesting to note the times at which the flicker occurs on your plasma and see what it does on the old tube.

As for a workaround, I would think that a "dumber" device between the player and your plasma that doesn't give up on the signal so quickly might help. An old VCR, for example, might be more tolerant of the imperfections, and since it it outputting its own consistent signal to the plasma the trouble should be minimized. Not a very elegant solution, so definitely try your receiver first. If it isn't too fussy about the incoming signal it might work great.
Rixrex

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's exactly correct, the newer sets cannot compensate for that slight video dropout that happens occasionally with CEDs and not with LDs. I have had that problem and solved it with either a DVDO Iscan device or a Hitachi AVC08u. Works somewhat along the lines of passing through a VCR but also ups the signal to be used via HD input. It is possible that you may solve it with RF input to analog channel 3 or 4, or even just by playing it once or twice to get rid of the drop-outs.
Jesse Skeen

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All my analog sources go through my Pioneer receiver which is connected to the TV thru HDMI, and even with upconverting it will drop the signal if there's any glitches. What's really annoying is that since the CED players don't send any signal when the disc isn't playing, my TV displays "No Signal" and then when the disc starts the first few seconds have a display on the screen saying "HDMI-1 1080P". I can turn it off sooner with the TV remote, and being obsessive I then scan back to the beginning of the disc to see it without the TV's display over it. I had hoped that upconverting receivers would always send a constant signal to the TV so that they wouldn't do that. It would also be nice if you could tell new TVs not to turn their displays on every time some little thing happens!
Rixrex

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, it's a real pain with the newer sets. Have you tried running through the analog tuner on channel 3/4 to see what that does? You can still have stereo if you drop the TV volume and connect stereo out to the amp/receiver.

I like watching the CEDs best on a CRT set, like a Sony Wega or Pioneer Elite rear projector set. Also once had a Mitsubishi 50" CRT that looked good playing CEDs.
blindfury420

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does it do this? hahah http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mOLzhneOTV0&list=UUV1MzLejRJQqVuBdfP1kHHg&index=4&feature=plcp Only tv in my house that wont play ced players!

McMicheal 5001h
Hitachi VIP202P
JCP 686-5705
RCA SKT265, SKT300
RCA SJT400X, SJT425
Rixrex

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, that's it exactly. How's the player hooked up, A/V or RF?
Alchemy

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, finally got everything hooked up again. I have the SGT-200 running into my Yamaha RX-V671 a/v receiver then to the Plasma with an HDMI cable.... after watching side 1 of Paul Simon in concert on CED, no drops mo black outs or blue screen. It plays just fine Smile
blindfury420

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry I didn't see you ask rix. I honestly don't remember what I used to connect to the tv.

McMicheal 5001h
Hitachi VIP202P
JCP 686-5705
RCA SKT265, SKT300
RCA SJT400X, SJT425
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: