CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion
Forum topics can be anything related to SelectaVision CED's, and could include offers to buy/sell/trade, repair advice, historical anecdotes, caches of CED's you've discovered, etc.

Click on the Register link to join.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Why are CED stylus so high?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zenithvp-2000

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 1:27 pm    Post subject: Why are CED stylus so high? Reply with quote

Hi,

I've been looking on E-bay recently for a replacement stylus for my Zenith VP-2000, and it seems every auction that I look at, the prices are outragous. Prices range anywhere from $50-80 for a single needle. Can someone explain this to me? Also, if anyone has a new 149000 stylus they would be willing to sell me on E-bay, it would be much appreciated.

Thanks.
7jlong

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suspect supply and demand - no new ones made for the last 25 years, and despite the great needle reconditioning we now have available to us, there are those who insist on "factory-fresh" (even all these years later).
Rixrex

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Styli were even expensive during the CED era of the 80s. I only saw them drop a little in price in the 90s.

Plus once you buy one, then you can get it rebuilt later on if needed. I may have a good used stylus you can buy for less than brand new ones, or even a stylus that needs rebuilding for a much lesser price. However you look at it, eventually you're going to have to pay between $40-50 for a stylus that's in good working order.
Beetlescott

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are high, but it could be worse, they could be impossible to get. I'm also glad we have someone who rebuilds them. I wouldn't be surprised if Ryan picks up the torch and carries rebuilding of these styli into the next generation! He is so good with these players.
SKT-100
Daxi Don

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 6:01 pm    Post subject: Stylus for another 12 inch vinyl disc. Reply with quote

[size=18][/size] My LP record player ( thats a Long Playing vinyl audio record circa mid 1900's) has a nice Shure cartridge. The replacement Shure bi-radial stylus is $60.00 - And yes it is a diamond stylus but primative techology compared to a CED "needle".

Daxi Don
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: