CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion
Forum topics can be anything related to SelectaVision CED's, and could include offers to buy/sell/trade, repair advice, historical anecdotes, caches of CED's you've discovered, etc.

Click on the Register link to join.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

my Zenith VP2000 has no picture. please help

Post new topic   Reply to topic    CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
harrison_bassist

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 11:08 pm    Post subject: my Zenith VP2000 has no picture. please help Reply with quote

hello i have Zenith VP2000 CED player that does not disply picture and the readout does not change to 0 or 1. inside is mint shape. it speeds up quietly and smooth. the stylus does apper to be tracking but not sure if its working. any help is much appreciated.

mike
cedmagic
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 5:02 pm    Post subject: RE: Zenith VP2000 - No Playback at Startup Reply with quote

Mike:

After loading a disc, turn the function lever to OFF, then by hand through the access cover, move the pickup arm inward so the stylus tip is approximately over the center of the grooved surface of the disc. Now move the function lever to PLAY and observe if playback ensues. If it does, you have an improper stylus set down adjustment, which can be corrected by the procedure on this page:

http://www.cedmagic.com/tech-info/repair-solutions.html#improper-stylus-set-down-adjustment

If the above test does not result in playback, the next procedure to try is stylus cartridge substitution, but you need a known-good stylus cartridge for that.

--Tom Howe
harrison_bassist

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried the set down adjustment and checked the stylus, its in good shape. whats next. IC chip corrupt? still reads "--"
and if i press pause and and play it will say "- "
cedmagic
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 12:28 pm    Post subject: RE: VP2000 Startup Problem Reply with quote

The change in the LED display from "--" to "-" indicates a system control problem, as that display should not change until a signal is recovered from the disc. Try loading a disc with the stylus cartridge removed and the stylus cover open. When the function lever is moved to play, the stylus lifter rod inside the stylus cartridge cavity should descend a few seconds after the disc spins up. If it does not, you definitely have a system control problem.

Fixing this will require some circuit analysis, which can be accomplished either with a scope, or by measuring the voltage at circuit nodes on the system control board sitting above the turnable.

--Tom Howe

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the stylus lifting rod works perfect. if theres nothing else to check, then ill take it to a repair shop. though i dont want to, it ill be very expensive
Reinhart

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please remember that your Zenith VP-2000 is actually a rebadged RCA SFT-100W. Some of the SYSCON and DAXI components essentially remained unchanged from the SFT-100W all the way up to the prototype Dimensia SKT-425.

Another thing you could do is simply get another player. If you score another VP-2000 or get an SFT-100W, your current player becomes an instant source of spare parts in case you need them.

If it's a SYSCON problem, it may require replacement of any of the control ICs. Those may not be available for replacement unless you can procure a salvaged player with good electronics. Or, you can check out CEDatum for any available parts and service information:

http://www.ccrtc.com/technology/cedatum/

This was what I ended up doing when I was restoring an SGT-250. I had two of these machines which were given to me by an electronics repair shop I worked at (they were donated to the shop and were about to be thrown out), but one had a faulty DAXI microcomputer while both had a bad stereo processing module and, of course, the player required new rubber.

The one with the good DAXI processor had a bad exterior while the other looked almost mint, so I swapped the chips. Then, I ordered a new set of rubber and a replacement stereo module from CEDatum and then procured the correct replacement remote from eBay. When I got a functioning SGT-250 with the remote, my SJT-200 ended up in my closet as a spare. - Reinhart
harrison_bassist

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 2:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Id just like to say Thank You to Tom and Reinhart for all the help i recieved so far.
harrison_bassist

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the help.

if you can, please list the possible chips/processors that may be malfuntioning. names and/or numbers. so i can test them.
thanks

Mike G.
harrison_bassist

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 1:05 pm    Post subject: i tested the DAXI Reply with quote

hello
i tested the DAXI buffer (U503) and came up with tese results on a DC voltmeter. do these results mean a corrupt DAXI?

PIN #----------LOAD/UNLOAD------------PLAY-----------------PAUSE

1------------------ 2.61v------------------2.60v----------------2.61v

2--------------------0-----------------------0----------------------0

3------------------2.48v------------------2.48v-----------------2.48v

4-------------------0------------------------0--------------------0.01v

5-------------------0----------------------0.01v-------------------0

6-----------------2.52v-------------------2.51v-----------------2.52v

7------------------0-------------------------0----------------------0

8------------------0-------------------------0----------------------0

9------------------0-------------------------0----------------------0

10---------------0.03v--------------------0.03v-----------------0.03v

11---------------0.03v--------------------5.06v-----------------0.03v

12----------------0------------------------2.63v------------------0

13----------------0------------------------0.01v------------------0

14--------------5.24v---------------------5.22v-----------------5.23v
Smoky Pond

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let's step back a bit on this one.

Are you sure the stylus is OK?

How did you check it? Visually or with a microscope? If by microscope, what was the magnification? I find that I need at least 200X to see enough detail to tell if the stylus is even usable.

The best test is a swap with a known good.

Matt
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: