CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion
Forum topics can be anything related to SelectaVision CED's, and could include offers to buy/sell/trade, repair advice, historical anecdotes, caches of CED's you've discovered, etc.

Click on the Register link to join.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Tons of Laserdisc players, ready to go...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rixrex

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 5:48 pm    Post subject: Tons of Laserdisc players, ready to go... Reply with quote

I recently put up a new listing of all the laserdisc players that I made sure were in good working order or that I put into good working order. These LD players came from my Dad's estate, and were in his shop for sale.

The listing is on craigslist locally, here's the link:

http://inlandempire.craigslist.org/ele/2682222903.html

The prices are pretty good I believe and some are downright cheap. Less than the CED players in fact. If you're looking to start an LD collection or upgrade your player, here you go...
montecarlo02

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very cool. At prices this low, this is hard to pass up! How much do you charge for shipping?

Matthew
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Rixrex

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I use UPS of Fedex and they run from $25 to $40 depending upon where it goes. That includes all packing materials, etc, and all boxes I send are well packed.

USPS is a tiny bit less, but when you add insurance they are the same and they are less apt to handle things properly.
montecarlo02

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any recommendations within the $20 models?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Rixrex

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, they are all pretty good models. It kind of depends on how you plan to hook it up to the set, like with RF cable or not, and what kind of set you'll be watching them on, and how serious you might be about LD collecting later too.

Most who are used to CEDs, don't mind flipping the LD. What TV set will you use and what's you plan of hook-up? Will you go to a receiver/amp or just throught the TV's sound? Do you think you'll get a decent sized collection eventually?

Let me know and I'll make some recommendations.
montecarlo02

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Either composite audio/video or coax will work for my TV hookup. I'll be using the TV speakers. Also, probably not looking into a huge collection right now, but possibly in the future.
Rixrex

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I'd say go with the simpler models of Pioneer, Panasonic, or Sony. That;s because those three were the most prolific of all LD player manufacturers and the remotes for the two-side player will operate the simple players as well. In other words, pick a brand that you would buy a dual-side player of later on, and have the remote for both players.

If you want to spend a little more for one with remote, then I'd say a Philips or Magnavox, as those players really had good picture quality.

Or if you really want to go for a vintage look, get a flip-top player. You cannot set anything on top of it however. Here's what they look like:

http://www.laserdiscarchive.co.uk/laserdisc_archive/pioneer/pioneer_ld-600/pioneer_ld-600.htm

http://www.laserdiscarchive.co.uk/laserdisc_archive/philips/magnavox_vc-8010/magnavox_vc-8010.htm

Or this vintage look dual-side player from Sony, which have a very nice picture - straight composite output right off the disc with no filtering. They are considered the best for copying discs to tape or DVD:

http://www.laserdiscarchive.co.uk/laserdisc_archive/sony/sony_mdp-1700ar/sony_mdp-1700ar.htm
joelmagyar

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 6:43 am    Post subject: Tons of Laserdisc Players Ready to Go Reply with quote

I'm interested in buying a player, but can't reach you through the Craig's List link. I bought a CED player from you last summer, but no longer have your e-mail. Mine is joelmagyar@aol.com
montecarlo02

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like that Sony one!
Rixrex

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, Matt, if you want the Sony one, let me know and I'll hold it for you. It has a remote and the remote will work all Sony LD players, if you ever decide to get another, newer black-finish model of Sony.

Or you can get one without remote for $10 less if you like.

Hi, Joel, I'll send you another email.
montecarlo02

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, I'll let you know. If anything it won't be for a couple of weeks (short on cash currently). Also, it looks like I'm going to be getting a CED player from Ryan. He lives an hour away from my place in Michigan! So, thanks for your help with that.
blindfury420

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

montecarlo02 wrote:
Thanks, I'll let you know. If anything it won't be for a couple of weeks (short on cash currently). Also, it looks like I'm going to be getting a CED player from Ryan. He lives an hour away from my place in Michigan! So, thanks for your help with that.
I did not know I was talkin to you in the emails! hahah
If you drive to my place to pick up the player you can see my giant collection! haha

McMicheal 5001h
Hitachi VIP202P
JCP 686-5705
RCA SKT265, SKT300
RCA SJT400X, SJT425
SaxCatz

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rixrex wrote:
Or this vintage look dual-side player from Sony, which have a very nice picture - straight composite output right off the disc with no filtering. They are considered the best for copying discs to tape or DVD:

http://www.laserdiscarchive.co.uk/laserdisc_archive/sony/sony_mdp-1700ar/sony_mdp-1700ar.htm

Sony's industrial models really were slick looking compared to Pio's gray boxes!
Rixrex

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's another Sony industrial model I have that has a great picture (the top picture):

http://www.laserdiscarchive.co.uk/laserdisc_archive/sony/sony_ldp-2000/sony_ldp-2000.htm

Sony early on got into LD players pretty big. They made several that were used in video arcade games They tended to just give you the straight composite output as it was recorded on the disc directly to your monitor.

This was because LDs were recorded in composite format analog signal, rather than splitting off luma and chroma signals like done in VCRs, DVD, etc. The idea is that you get a better rendition of picture as recorded due to less filtering steps within the player. So the earlier Sony's were equal to any other brand of player in my opinion.

After the 80s, they slowed player development and Pioneer did the opposite. So the Sony models from then are lesser when compared to Pioneer, until they made the MDP-V series in the late 90s, which were their last players and their best, equaling the other brands at the time.

I have two of these beautiful V series players which I wouldn't sell or trade for any others. They were sold only in the Japanese and Hong Kong markets:

http://www.laserdiscarchive.co.uk/laserdisc_archive/sony/sony_mdp-v7/sony_mdp-v7.htm

http://www.laserdiscarchive.co.uk/laserdisc_archive/sony/sony_mdp-v9k/sony_mdp-v9k.htm
7jlong

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had an LDP-2000 briefly. It really is a very striking machine and if I remember correctly makes very satisfying relay noises when operational buttons are pressed.

Only drawback was no digital audio decoding - so if you had a disc with a commentary or Spanish on the analog tracks, that's all you could get out of it. Made Criterion discs especially uncomfortable.
Rixrex

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's right, there was no onboard D/A convertor on that model. You have to move up to the next level players, like the 1700AR to get digital audio output.

But it can handle about 90 percent of LDs out there, ones that have the film audio on the analog track or on one of the analog tracks, in analog.
Alchemy

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you still have the Pioneer 703 or Panasonic 1000?
Rixrex

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes I do. I have both. Actually we had a few Panasonic LX1000u's.

One fellow in Florida wanted the 703, then I discovered he had a DVL-909 before I shipped it that he did not know also played LDs as he was using it as a DVD player. He's in his 70s, so I guess he didn't look at it too carefully.

Am I mistaken, or did you previously want a player with AC3 output and digital output both? Maybe that was someone else.

Anyway, I have a CLD-D406 that I just finished with that has both. It needed a part from Pioneer but now it's ready.
Alchemy

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since this is a bedroom set, not super critical that it has the AC3/Digital

But since you've just finished it- what's your asking $$
Rixrex

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just added the CLD-D406 to the posting:

http://inlandempire.craigslist.org/ele/2682222903.html

It's in the lower priced dual-side player category, the $55 section.

Even though it has both Optical Output and AC3, it doesn't have digital memory for still-frame, so I consider it a lesser model.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: