CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion
Forum topics can be anything related to SelectaVision CED's, and could include offers to buy/sell/trade, repair advice, historical anecdotes, caches of CED's you've discovered, etc.

Click on the Register link to join.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Mickey's Christmas Carol

Post new topic   Reply to topic    CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zenithvp-2000

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 12:34 am    Post subject: Mickey's Christmas Carol Reply with quote

Hi, I've got a question I was hoping someone here could answer. I was checking all my discs the other day for scratches, and I came across Mickey's Christmas Carol. When I pulled the disc out of the caddy, it and the caddy tray were covered in dirt! I had read on the internet that you could very carefully wash discs, so i decided to give it a try. I followed the instructions and thought that I had rescued this disc from the dump, but I was wrong. When the disc dried I noticed that it had some spots on it in various places that looked like soap. I decided to try the disc in my player anyway, just to see if the disc would play. When the disc started I noticed the whole picture went black pretty quickly. The sound also faded out as well. I played the same section of the disc over and it played through fine so I decided to just let the disc play. Every time the player came to a portion of the disc that hadn't been played the picture and sound would go away. I tried washing the disc in just some warm water again to see if that would help in removing the spots on the disc, but it didn't. I'm thinking that these spots may be mold, but i'm not sure. Should I just look for another copy of this disc, or is there a way to safely remove these spots on the disc? any help would be greatly appreciated.
Rixrex

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What model player are you using? Does it have a time display?

If so, what happens to the time display when the picture and sound drop out?

Normally you can try get that kind of dirt off with a wash of plain water and no soap. I don't know if the soap reacted with the silicon disc coating.

It sounds like it's resetting or rescribing the grooves when you initially play it. That can happen when the silicon coating is somehow leveled out so you don't get the signal you need until the groove is reset by the stylus.

I'd say that if you still see a time display, you're okay to just let the disc play through, and see if that takes care of it. If you don't see a time display, but the disc will play through anyway and clear up, that should be okay too. Try a 5 or 10 minute play through test and see how that works first.
Beetlescott

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have heard from some people that you should NEVER, EVER get a disc wet, and I heard from others wash them with soapy water. I have never gotten any wet. Seems like one guy who sells CEDs on Ebay says he washes them. Does anyone know if there is any recommendations for a dirty CED?
SKT-100
Rixrex

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would say it's best to not get a disc wet, but sometimes that happens by accident. The disc somehow gets immersed or partly immersed in water.

I've seen discs that got wet, were let to dry, and were fine. I have had discs that got into dust or dirt somehow, that I rinsed with plain distilled water (and no rag or scrub or soap) just to get the dust or dirt off, because otherwise it would have been murder on the stylus, and they played after an air dry.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: