CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion
Forum topics can be anything related to SelectaVision CED's, and could include offers to buy/sell/trade, repair advice, historical anecdotes, caches of CED's you've discovered, etc.

Click on the Register link to join.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Cleaning CEDs

Post new topic   Reply to topic    CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zenithvp-2000

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 1:23 pm    Post subject: Cleaning CEDs Reply with quote

Hi, I recently purchased a copy of Rocky along with some other movies, and it has some rather large fingerprints on the disc. Is there anyway I can clean these fingerprints off without damaging the disc?
cbertra2

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 2:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Cleaning CEDs Reply with quote

Zenithvp-2000 wrote:
Hi, I recently purchased a copy of Rocky along with some other movies, and it has some rather large fingerprints on the disc. Is there anyway I can clean these fingerprints off without damaging the disc?

I never have been a big fan of cleaning these discs. If the finger prints don't affect playback then I would leave them be. Any attempt to remove the fingerprints with a chemical will remove the lubricant from the disc. If there is a lot of dust on the disc then just gently wipe it with a tack cloth or carbon fiber brush. If there is a lot of dust on the disc then it is also inside the caddy. Blow the inside of the caddy out with compressed air.
Beetlescott

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree, I wouldn't try to clean them with anything, as it will remove the lubricant, and that could affect the life of the stylus. If I find anything on the disc when i check it, I replace it. Most ot the titles are so inexpensive, I'd rather have one that no one has been handling. Good luck !!!
SKT-100
rein-o

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi,
new to these, i picked up a bunch of discs.
i collect LDs and rix got me thinking and i found some cheap so i figured why not.

anyway the cases were dirty and cleaned them fine.
so don't touch the discs, O.K. but how do i know if they are dirty or have issues??
some of them in the light have really tiny things? i want to say marks but they are flush with the disc, are these things something i have to worry about or are they just from manufacturing?

i've read about the distiled water, do you just run it on the disc??
i'm not going to wipe it correct? but i'm guessing that this is for a really special issue.

also couldn't you just spray some of the silicone mold release they sell at art supply stores onto the disc?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: