CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion
Forum topics can be anything related to SelectaVision CED's, and could include offers to buy/sell/trade, repair advice, historical anecdotes, caches of CED's you've discovered, etc.

Click on the Register link to join.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Disc Problem

Post new topic   Reply to topic    CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zenithvp-2000

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 5:10 pm    Post subject: Disc Problem Reply with quote

Hi, I just recently got back in to collecting CEDs and I have been reading this forum for the past few days trying to find an answer to a problem i'm experiencing. I have two disc that will not play, they are Losin' It and Zapped!. Both were manufactured by Embassy Home Entertainment. When I load Zapped! into the player side 1 will play, but not side 2, well I tried this disc again today and got side 2 to play, but not side 1. With Losin' It, the black screen comes up like it's playing the movie and I can see the speckles of color in the disc, indicating the disc has been played alot, but the movie never starts. Could this be a problem with the stylus or the discs themselves? I forgot to mention all of my discs were former rentals, and were stacked flat, but none of my other discs have these problems. Also have pulled Zapped! out of its caddy to inspect it and noticed a thumb print near the center hole and a couple scratches on the disc. I haven't inspected Losin' It yet but I will. I have already found replacements on E-bay, if i need to replace them. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Rixrex

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If all your other discs play without problem, then replace those two discs.

Is that what is going on, or do you have similar problems with other discs?
Beetlescott

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome back to the fold!!!! Glad you are here! I agree, if the other discs are playing well, replace the to bad ones. If you got all the discs from the same place, and they were stacked flat, you are a very lucky guy indeed! So many people list them for sale on Ebay/Craigs list, or other places, Since the discs weigh 1.5 lbs, the more they stack, the more possibility of having damaged discs. If you see a scratch on them, I would advise tossing it. It's just not worth the risk of tearing up your valuable stylus. It costs 40-50 bucks to get a new/refurbished stylus, and the movies are much less expensive to replace. I'm sure you will find both of them in much better shape. A word of caution, Check them all before you play them. Keep coming back and letting us know how you are doing! Do you have a very large collection of players? Discs? I have a VP2000 player, looks like new, i love it.
SKT-100
Zenithvp-2000

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all your information, you guys are very helpful. That's what I was expecting I would have to do with them. That's OK, I've already found replacements for them which I will be ordering in the next few days. I recently came across an rca sjt-200 at a thrift store that only needed a function motor belt. I told the lady at the counter it didn't work and she let me have it for $5.00, they had wanted $17.00. I purchased a belt for it and put it on last night. tried it today, and it plays like a dream! This is the first player I have ever worked on, and I can honestly say it was very easy to repair. There is one minor issue that I almost forgot to mention, when it is playing, the bottom LED on the time display is out, I figured it would be best just to leave it alone, but if anyone knows of a simple fix, it would be greatly appreciated. My collection is pretty small at the moment, consisting of only 2 players, a zenith vp-2000 and the RCA SJT-200 mentioned above. As far as discs go, I have about 45-50. They consist mostly of uncommon titles with 2 or 3 rare ones. Once again thank you all very much for the info.
Rixrex

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd just leave it alone. You can still tell what the time display is and it will remind you what a grat buy you got for $5!
Beetlescott

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are welcomed. It is so exciting to see people come in that are excited about collecting our little format! My wfie and I are watching Gone With the Wind now, it looks so good on my SJT400. Keep us posted on your progress!!
SKT-100
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: