CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion
Forum topics can be anything related to SelectaVision CED's, and could include offers to buy/sell/trade, repair advice, historical anecdotes, caches of CED's you've discovered, etc.

Click on the Register link to join.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Did I make a mistake?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Casper

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 9:39 am    Post subject: Did I make a mistake? Reply with quote

Hello everyone,

I recently purchased an SKT400 with new remote. It only cost $208.00 after shipping and insurance. I seen them go for quite a bit more. But just recently I was informed that those models had a chip that tends to overheat causing a poor quality washed out picture. I haven't had that problem yet. But if I do what should I do? I seen people rig up fans and such. But these machines are nearly 25 years old, are these problems just now happening? If so I can just replace the chip and be good for another 25 years right? I was thinking (if/when I have the problem) of desoldiering the chip and installing a socket for the replacement chip so that it can be easily replaced in the future. However if this is not the case and the problem has been this was since day one. Is it possible to soldier in a ribbon cable and put the chip on a small board attach the other end of the ribbon cable to that and "relocate" the chip where there is better ventilation? I hope that I bought a good reliable model. If not please tell me what you recomend.

One last odd ball question, a few places were making CED's and it wasn't just RCA. So the machines that cut the masters and the machines that form the CED disc itself using the stamper can't all be totally gone. Does anyone know if anyone has these machines or if someone is trying to replicate the technology? I know the CED as well as 8-tracks and Betas time has come and gone. But I think you could make some pretty good money making a few titles on CED once again. Also the mold to make the stylus for these machines is still hopefully floating around too. Thanks for your help and advise.

-Jim
CEDatum

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 5:49 pm    Post subject: SKT400 and poor quality picture. Reply with quote

PLease contact me at : cedatum@ccrtc.com and I will give you the RCA answer to this question. John at CEDatum
planetcadillac

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 4:11 pm    Post subject: SKT400 Purchase a Mistake? Reply with quote

Absolutely NOT a mistake. The 400's used an On Board Display module that was located in an area of the player electronics that wasn't well ventiled. Although it will not happen in all 400's it is a common enough problem to warranty discussion of a fix. I have an SKT400 and it has not displayed this problem. If the place that you operate the unit is relatively cool and you go periods of time between plays (like I do) then you may never ever experience this problem. For heavy users and those that have already experienced the problem - the best solution is to install a small fan into the case that will direct are across the OBD module. Its not particular hard, but can be tricky for those that are not mechanically or electrically inclined. CED Magic website has a pretty detailed description of how to install a cooling fan. For my limited usage, I have chose to not go this route. I have a spare OBD module in case I ever experience this problem. I keep my machine more for originality than usage sake. I do use it about once every other month. Before I used it fairly regularly but Netflix has basically killed off my usage. It was away for me to collect old movies cheaply but the cost per movie per rental from Netflix is about $1.28 and I can get anything that was every made on DVD. I will keep it though because I like it and it is neat and a conversation piece. Also since the CEDs are basically record size, the cover art is collectable in and of itself. I have an original model with the original box, invoice, shipping manifest, all the way down to the original twist ties that wrapped the wires in the little plastic bags. It came with the CRK36B as well as the optional CRK32E Command Center Remote. In addition, I have aquired a first generation Dimensia remote. I am in the process of acquiring an older RCA TV that I will use as a display in a room that hopefully the remote will work both.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: