CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion
Forum topics can be anything related to SelectaVision CED's, and could include offers to buy/sell/trade, repair advice, historical anecdotes, caches of CED's you've discovered, etc.

Click on the Register link to join.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

RCA SGT200 disc loading -- help, please?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
felix.bunke

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 10:22 am    Post subject: RCA SGT200 disc loading -- help, please? Reply with quote

Howdy! I'm new to CED players, & I've just gotten a SGT200 model. I can't seem to get it to load a disc, though. Since this is the first player I've had experience with, I'm not really sure if it's just due to experience, & I don't know the correct method, or haven'nt gotten the "knack" yet, or if there's somethign wrong with the mechanism. Peering through the stylus access area, it looks to me like the loading mechanism is primarily, if not wholly, mechanical, so, if something's wrong with it, I may be able to correct it? Could someone explain to me just how the mechanism works & maybe provide some troubleshooting pointers? My apologies if this topic has been discussed here before -- please point me to it if it has! Thanks!!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 1:17 am    Post subject: SGT loading problem Reply with quote

Could be that you aren't loading the disc at the proper angle. The disc caddy has to be inserted at a direct angle that cannot vary by much at all, a little too high or too low will cause the disc to hangup. But once you get the proper angle, it should go in with ease. Also, check your toggle lever, it has to be in the load position. It can't be in off or play positions. If it's not either of those, then it might be a load lever not in alignment or a broken piece inside causing obstruction, usually it a plastic lever of sorts that sits on the left side of the player as you face it, and the disc caddy pushes it up a bit as it is slid into the player, and this lever engages the internal mechanisms to operate properly when the caddy is pulled out with the disc still inside, in a simple explanation. Anyway, if this lever gets cracked in or near the middle, the back half of it will swing down from it's pivot point and act like a blockage to stop the caddy from going in. It will usually block the caddy at a point about 1/3rd of the way in. Unfortunately, if this is the problem, it will require some disassembly and a repair or replacement of the part. I repaired one with epoxy and it works just fine now. Just don't jam the caddy in without tracking down the problem! Any more information or clarification needed, you can write direct to me at LAKELANDER@JUNO.COM

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm... the caddy does go all the way in -- the problem is in getting the disc out. Maybe it's the angle, but I have tried it a number of times. At this point, I'm suspecting it's something that might need adjustment or repair.
felix.bunke

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oops -- that last post was from me -- forgot to sign in, I guess!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 8:15 am    Post subject: disc won't load Reply with quote

Well, that helps in explaining the problem! (All this assumes that your caddy does have a disc inside of it) If you get the caddy in but the disc will not release from the caddy - in other words, you pull the caddy out and the disc is still in the caddy - then the "claws" that grasp the disc slide are not engaging. If you mean that the disc enters and stays in the player, but you cannot operate the load toggle switch, or you do operate the load toggle switch and nothing happens, then it is a problem with the toggle switch mechanism. If you know nothing about the internal workings of these players, and you are not mechanically nor electronically adept, your best bet is to get it repaired by one of the well-known CED members who operate repairs services. Our Dad used to do that, but no longer is available since he recently closed his shop. Too bad it's not the SJT or SKT model because you can see what's going on inside those very easily with the cover removed. The SGT is great but a bit more complicated internally.
felix.bunke

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks! It's the former -- the disc won't release from the caddy, and I was suspecting something like that, actually, i.e., that there might be something wrong with the mechanism that grabs the disc slide. I might have a chance at scoring a mono player, but I'd still like to see if I can get this one going, sicne it's in streo & has A/V outputs.
felix.bunke

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2005 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was able to get my hands on an SJT100, & it's been working out well for me. (The motorized load works like a charm!) It was quite easy to figure out how to operate, too, w/o a manual. I've also been able to snatch up a bunch of classic films for a buck apiece, too. (One reason why I like old formats -- good material for cheap!) However, do continue to pass along any tips you might have for me -- I still have the SGT200, & I'd still like to see if I can get it going for the stereo sound & A/V connectivity. Thanks!
felix.bunke

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Say, anybody have any tips on how to even OPEN the SGT200? It seems like the top should come off, and there's three screws on the back, and I took those out, but I still can't seem to figure out how to open it up w/o breaking anything -- any tips? There's screws on the bottom of the unit, too, but I doubt that's what I'm looking for...
felix.bunke

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, I don't suppose I could use the stylus from the stereo SGT200 in the mono SJT100, could I? If I could, & I don't get the SGT200 running, at least I'd have a spare stylus, then...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: