CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion
Forum topics can be anything related to SelectaVision CED's, and could include offers to buy/sell/trade, repair advice, historical anecdotes, caches of CED's you've discovered, etc.

Click on the Register link to join.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

color shift on early flip handle versions

Post new topic   Reply to topic    CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
analog.tv

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2004 5:11 am    Post subject: color shift on early flip handle versions Reply with quote

I acquired a Zenith VP2000 in pristine condition...works well BUT the color shifts from time to time. I have oiled the brass spindle bearings, oiled the motor, flipped the drive belt around and cleaned the drive surfaces. No help there. I have seen this same problem with other RCA players (same guts). Folks, just what is going on here? Somebody's got to know. Perhaps we can save some of these from the landfill (including this one). PLEASE HELP!!!! CRAIG Greenbelt, Maryland
cedmagic
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 11:07 pm    Post subject: RE: Color Shifts in Video from F/G Players Reply with quote

Craig:

Besides the items you listed, another easy thing to check is to make sure the turntable belt is riding on the crown or center of the metal pulley of the drive motor. If not, it can be centered with the motor mount screw.

But there are instances where the color shift originates in the turntable itself, specifically the 16-pole magnetic ring around the inside circumference of the turntable. I've confirmed this in two instances by swapping the turntables between the "color shift" players and normal players and noting the problem stayed with the turntable.

There are two possible failures with the magnetic ring - either a decreasing weakness of the entire magnetic ring, making it unable to stay in sync, or damage to the magnetic field in one or more poles.

I once found a player in a thrift store with the color shift problem under circumstances that may explain how poles in the magnetic ring could get damaged. This player was sitting at the test bench, plugged in, and with a disc loaded and the function lever at play. But upon taking it apart at home, I observed that the turntable belt had fallen off the pulley due to looseness, and the color shift problem appeared as soon as the belt was replaced. With no turntable belt and the unit "playing" a disc, the turntable magnetic ring would remain stationary with one or two poles on the ring continuously being bombarded with the alternating magnetic field from the sync poles on the motor. If this condition lasted long enough, it could zap those adjacent poles.

One way to test these theories would be to do a comparative magnetometer analysis of good and bad turntables, but that's something I haven't yet got around to.

--Tom Howe
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: