CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion
Forum topics can be anything related to SelectaVision CED's, and could include offers to buy/sell/trade, repair advice, historical anecdotes, caches of CED's you've discovered, etc.

Click on the Register link to join.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

PAL CED players and their styli

Post new topic   Reply to topic    CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Spirantho

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 9:28 am    Post subject: PAL CED players and their styli Reply with quote

Hi everybody,

Just registered here despite the fact that Tom is directly responsible for the functioning of my trusty Hitachi VIP-201P (he furnished me with a few belts I needed at a very low price - thanks again. Smile )

Anyway, I've noticed every time I meet anyone into films, the reaction to my DVD collection is a kind of "oh", LaserDisc collection is a "cool - they're huge" and the CED collection is more a "what the heck??!".
Not co-incidentally, the CED collection is the one we always come back to... for some reason people are fascinated by it, and despite the skips and lower quality, it gets used more than any other video player I have.

This is, of course, a problem. The CED is the only format that degrades the more you use it - hence I'm always conscious of the state of my stylus. I think the skips I always get on the discs are because of the disks, not the stylus, as re-watching the video usually fixes it - but I do wonder what a nice new stylus would do for it.

I realise that in the States, CEDs are scarce, and that Hitachi players are avoided because you can't replace the styli - but in the UK, all the players are Hitachi (it seems!). The net result of this is that unless we find a way of hacking together a Hitachi-compatible part, all of the PAL CEDs will become useless in a pretty short period of time! The problem can be avoided by NTSC guys (just don't use Hitachi players) but we don't have that option.

Does anyone have any plans to do something about this predicament? I figure it'd be a good idea to do something (anything!) about this problem before it gets too bad... though as it is it's completely impossible to replace a stylus without buying a new machine over here!

I'd hate to see an entire video format die (PAL CEDs) but this could be a lot closer than we realise....

BTW - how many people on this board are using PAL CED players?

Thanks for 'listening'!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: