CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion
Forum topics can be anything related to SelectaVision CED's, and could include offers to buy/sell/trade, repair advice, historical anecdotes, caches of CED's you've discovered, etc.

Click on the Register link to join.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Help Needed

Post new topic   Reply to topic    CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Help

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 8:58 pm    Post subject: Help Needed Reply with quote

I love working with the technology from the past and saw a CED player on Ebay. So I went ahead and purchased my first CED player (RCA SJT-090) and it arrived today! I was so excited to play my recently acquired CED discs that I also picked up on Ebay. Well, this is where things start to get very sad. There was no manual and I have never worked with a CED player before, but I assumed it would be as easy as inserting the disc into the front of the machine. Well I tried and tried, and tried again to get the disc to go in, but it won't. The door does not open all of the way. Is it supposed to? I guess I am looking for some general instructions on how to operate the unit so I can tell if I was sent a faulty player. The buyer swore he tested it and it worked fine, but it's Ebay and how many times have we heard that story? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance,
Doug
CEDatum

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 5:52 am    Post subject: CED player purchases at on-line auctions. Reply with quote

CED players purchased at on-line auctions. I have kept notes on communications with CEDatum and from players I have had in for repair. That 65% of players don't work at all when received by the new owner. Another 20% work somewhat but have problems.

" It worked when I last used it " ( 15 years ago !) is a common description in the auction listing >

CED players are delicate and are often damaged when shipped by common carrier. RCA fitted shipping tabs with the original purchase. These are rarely used when the player is re-sold.

Doug with the problem SJT090. Contact CEDatum.
Help

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 10:40 am    Post subject: Response Reply with quote

Thanks for the response. I have written you a note.

Can anyone describe how the loading of a CED disc should work in this player? The door is much larger than the skinny discs are. The door only opens into the player a part of the way (door hinge is at the bottom and the top of the door opens inward). I can see into the player slightly, but if I try to push a disc into the slot, it goes no further than the door. Am I supposed to remove the disc from the hard cover shell before inserting it in the player?
broca's area

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 4:59 pm    Post subject: Help Wanted - CED Player Malfunction Reply with quote

Dear Guest: Whatever you do, please do not take the disc out of the caddy.The caddy is meant to hold, protect and insert the disc. You say you are unable to insert the disc without meeting resistance. The problem may be the belt drive mechanism (which is similar to a phonoraph/record player belt) which has ceased to function. The front entrance not opening may suggest that is what is happening. Upon inserting the disc caddy, the player should take the disc into it and start playing. When you are ready to remove the disc, you would insert the caddy into the player to retrieve the disc. You may want to ccontact, by e-mail, Darrell at dj3928@aol.com, in Kentucky. He is an expert in the repair of malfunctioning ced players, and I am sure he can answer your questions. Good luck to you. I hope I have been of some help to you. (My user name is Broca's Area)
broca's area

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Guest. That is supposed to be "phonograph". Sorry for the misspelling.
Videodiscer

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Help, No one has really done a great job of answering your question so far so I thought I might give you some "active" tips to help yourself. I suggest simply opening your player up and seeing if all is well. If you can see something broken, then there you go. You might also find that a kids doll or a piece of change has gotten stuck in the path of the door. You woudn't beleive the different kinds of things that can get shoved into electronic outlets! Since it's an RCA, it isn't too tough to get opened or put back together. If you aren't a techy, don't feel intimidated. All you are doing is opening it up to see how things are going. Then---if you find that all is well, go ahead and contact outside help to fix your player. Go ahead and try to work out something with your seller. Many are happy enough to give you a small refund for your trouble or at least help out with the repair arrangements. GOOD LUCK HELP! -CHauncey
Help

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 9:43 pm    Post subject: Thank you Reply with quote

I would like to thank everyone who responded to my call for help. All have been helpful in various ways, but I especially would like to thank CEDatum. Due to an offline discussion, I was able to locate the exact problem and verify that it occurred during shipping. It's good people like you who keep the CED spirit alive.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2005 9:01 pm    Post subject: Good Repair Reply with quote

Glad to hear you were able to repair the CED Player.
Good to know there are collectors willing to help with repair tips.
Let's keep CED going for a long time into the future.

Good to hear from people who are interested in CED.
And not just the ones trying to sell Part 1 of "On Golden Pond".
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: