CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion
Forum topics can be anything related to SelectaVision CED's, and could include offers to buy/sell/trade, repair advice, historical anecdotes, caches of CED's you've discovered, etc.

Click on the Register link to join.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

WHICH PLAYER LOOKS THE BEST?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Beetlescott

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 7:14 am    Post subject: WHICH PLAYER LOOKS THE BEST? Reply with quote

All right, we have talked about the different players, and anyone who knows anything about our CED players, that the SGT250 is like a tank, and the SJT400 is the top of the line. Now, bells & whistles aside, which player do you think LOOKS the best? Which is the sleekest? (is that a word?)
Personally, I LOVE the look of the SGT250. It is different, with the slant on the front, and the silver & black trim, with blus lettering in the top corner. To me, the rest of the square players just look like all the other components Another thing I really love about all the players is they still look good even after 27 to 29 years, they still look up to date:) What is your preferance?
SKT-100
Alchemy

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about my 200 Smile It looks cool and I actually like the lever action load/unload.

The square looking ones were trying to look futuristic IMO and failed
deantjeep

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the square more modern look to the SJT and SKT lines, that is as far as looking like it fits in with all other modern components.

I do love the unique look of all the players, some more retro than others. The SGT250 has that unique look, almost spaceage. The other RCA players with the loading lever also look retro and cool. Some of the other brands are worth noting, each one very unique, such as the Toshiba, Sanyo, Hitachi, Sears, Zenith. I think it is the uniqueness of the various player models which gets me excited to collect some of them. I'd like to own a representative of each unique style. That would be about 11 major variant models.

Most of my players are SJTs.
Jesse Skeen

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've always liked the big loading switch on the original player, which I once saw described as "the clunky handle". I have an SGT-200 player which is the only stereo model to have that on it, I also have an SFT-100 player with stereo and video outputs installed on it but the player's mechanism is shot and I can't get it to work.

The SGT-250 still wins for overall ease of use however. The one I have installed I got in 2005 and had NEVER been used before! It needed a little tweaking to start playing without skipping over the first few seconds, but it's been working great so far. It has an 80s look to it without looking as outdated as the SFT-100 with its woodgrain panel! The Hitachi players have a cool design too, I sort of like how you don't have to power them on and off, they just switch on when a caddy is inserted, plus you can't beat that WIRED remote control!
Beetlescott

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alchemy wrote:
How about my 200 Smile It looks cool and I actually like the lever action load/unload.

The square looking ones were trying to look futuristic IMO and failed

You know, Scott, I thought about yours right after I posted this. Even with no remote, I do think they look better than the square ones. I will prolly end up with one of those older ones.
SKT-100
deantjeep

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There you go Beetlescott, setting yourself up for yet another player. And I thought I was the player buying addict here...
Alchemy

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You learn something new everyday --> http://omaha.daype.com/electronics/entertainment/Ced-player-and-discs-in-box-1-cb-iowa-Ad-131943.html

1964???
Beetlescott

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suppose I was the wrong person to ask this question. I have never seen a non RCA player up close. I have see pictures, but not in "person". I do like the look of some of them. For looks, i'd still go with SGT250, heck,m I love all of them:). I'm getting an odd feeling I may not be happy with only 3 players:).
SKT-100
deantjeep

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well let's see....you need a backup 400 player, then you need some of those unusual players, like a Hitachi or Toshiba or Zenith or Sanyo. I like the look of the Sanyo player, should have one coming in the mail on Monday.

http://cedmagic.com/museum/ced-player-guide/vdr3000.html

I would like to collect one of each type (not every model), each style of player. Some are just very interesting to look at. Many of which I have never seen in person.
Beetlescott

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the look of the Sanyo. I may have to look for one, or the first model RCA put out is intriguing too. Isn't there a player that you lift the lid on to put the disc in?
SKT-100
deantjeep

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry Scott, no CED players that have a lid to lift. That wouldn't satisfy the disc removal process that involves grabbing the inserted caddy. Also, such a player would allow dust into the body of the player as well as exposing the bare disc to the elements. Neat idea though!
Jesse Skeen

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The prototypes were like that- one was on Ebay a few years ago, I tried to bid on it but someone got it for close to $1000! I have a prototype disc though, don't know what's on it but it's got some cut-out space in the center to handle it by.
RT9342

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Funny how this topic came up again; I posted a thread years ago discussing the best looking players. At the time, I liked both the Zenith player and the original Sears player (the one that was basically an SFT-100), and couldn't decide which one I liked better. But I kind of got to liking the Sears player better, until I obtained an SGT-250 - that's now my favorite. If anyone's ever seen the Sears player I'm talking about, it's actually very similar in style to the SGT-250, except it has the lever, a fake leather print on the top cover, and a few other minor cosmetic differences. And to be honest, I do kind of like the old lever (that's what I grew up with), which is why the SGT-200 is also one of my favorites. But I got so used to my SGT-250's remote control that it would be hard for me to go back to an SGT-200. Also, I never really liked the way that the rear end of the SGT-200's top cover has a wood grain pattern - it just doesn't match the rest of the player. But I'll admit, I may have an unfair bias against the SGT-200, because the only one I've ever seen up close is one that I once bought at a garage sale, but it was scuffed up, with a lot of paint missing, making it a lot uglier than what it should have been. And that player is the first thing that comes to my mind when I hear mention of the SGT-200. It was a good player, though - sad that it was destroyed in a flood very soon after I bought it.
deantjeep

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the Zenith player is the most antique looking player of them all. It is a funky old looking machine. I think I need one for my collection...
RT9342

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, it's very unique looking.....man, I wish we had brought this up sooner - I had scrapped an old Zenith player for parts and just disposed of some of the cabinet parts recently. The player was definitely junk, but you can literally put an SFT-100 chassis in a Zenith cabinet - it's the exact same chassis, with the only difference being how the turntable motor guard is mounted, but that's a minor thing.
cedmagic
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 6:42 am    Post subject: RE: Best Looking CED Player Reply with quote

I'm partial to the gold-colored Sears players. You have to see one of these in person in like-new condition to fully appreciate it.

--Tom Howe
Beetlescott

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 9:11 pm    Post subject: Re: RE: Best Looking CED Player Reply with quote

cedmagic wrote:
I'm partial to the gold-colored Sears players. You have to see one of these in person in like-new condition to fully appreciate it.

--Tom Howe

Man would I love to see one of those in good shape:)
SKT-100
cbertra2

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hands down has to be the Toshiba 500 or the 550 model. The symmetry of the face is perfect.
Beetlescott

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 6:20 pm    Post subject: Re: RE: Best Looking CED Player Reply with quote

cedmagic wrote:

--Tom Howe

How many different players to you have, Tom?
SKT-100
dj3928

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 6:14 pm    Post subject: Best Looking CED Player Reply with quote

I agree with Tom, the Sears Gold Colored player is pretty sweet looking, also the Realistic 16-301 which is practically the same player as the Sears looks pretty nice too.

And the sliding red led time bar is different than most players.
krbsforty

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My personal preference is the original RCA SFT100W. You never see anything like it manufactured today. I like the nice wooden cabinet, similar to console televisions & stereos with were still being manufactured back in 1981. I am also intrigued by the large lever on the front panel. Another thing I like is Nipper the dog on the front panel. He was not on any other CED players.

I think the later players look nice also; they look similar to modern day electronics, so they fit in with newer entertainment components. One other player I like the looks of is the J.C. Penney 686-5705 because it has nice coloured lines above the buttons. It is also the only CED player I have seen with lower-case lettering for the controls.
Rixrex

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 9:27 am    Post subject: The Realistic... Reply with quote

My favorite is the Realistic model based on the Hitachi, but with a different case styling. It has that really nice "space-age" design similar to the very 1st LD players sold in 1978. In fact, very 1960's looking and the only player that could be said of, in my opinion.

My second choice is the SGT 200, due to the fact it is a stereo model, but still has the lever switch.
Beetlescott

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While I LOVE the SJT400, and all it's perks, I'm still partial to the SGT250 for looks. My 84 year old Father in Law came for a visit, he thought it was something new, because of the smooth lines on it, and the silver buttons. I'm bidding on a brand new "sealed in the box" one that I'm hoping witll win Sunday:)
SKT-100
krbsforty

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

deantjeep wrote:
Well let's see....you need a backup 400 player, then you need some of those unusual players, like a Hitachi or Toshiba or Zenith or Sanyo. I like the look of the Sanyo player, should have one coming in the mail on Monday.

I would like to collect one of each type (not every model), each style of player. Some are just very interesting to look at. Many of which I have never seen in person.

Interesting that these other CED players are unusual, because these manufacturers also produced unusual VCRs during the CED era; i.e. Toshiba, Zenith & Sanyo supported the Betamax VCR format in the 1970s & 1980s, while RCA & Hitachi supported VHS. Toshiba never used a name for their VCRs. Sanyo called their Beta VCRs "Betacord," and Zenith called their Beta VCRs "Video Director." For VHS, Hitachi did not use a name, but RCA also used the "Selectavision" for their VCRs, along with our beloved format.
blindfury420

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

deantjeep wrote:

Did you get a sanyo? I have yet to actually see one!

McMicheal 5001h
Hitachi VIP202P
JCP 686-5705
RCA SKT265, SKT300
RCA SJT400X, SJT425
Beetlescott

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was thinking Dean did have a Sanyo??
SKT-100
Jesse Skeen

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RCA used the name "Selectavision" as a brand for any home video playback device since the 1960s, including developed but never-released formats such as the HoloTape VCR.
Xian

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really like the looks of the Hitachi VIP1000 and it's clone by Sears.
Beetlescott

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with you, it's a nice looking player. My heart will always favore the SGT250, but the Hitachi is a nice looking player. I have never seen one in "person", but I plan to some day. Is it exactly like the Sears & J.C. Pennys models!
SKT-100
krbsforty

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another CED player I like the looks of is the lower end RCA SGT075, because the front is very simple, clean-looking & not cluttered. I have also noticed that the wood grain cabinet seems darker than on other CED players.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: