CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion
Forum topics can be anything related to SelectaVision CED's, and could include offers to buy/sell/trade, repair advice, historical anecdotes, caches of CED's you've discovered, etc.

Click on the Register link to join.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

broken sft 100

Post new topic   Reply to topic    CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
blindfury420

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 8:09 pm    Post subject: broken sft 100 Reply with quote

Hi everyone! new here obviously, just started with my ced addiction so i will be around more often haha! I cant begin to tell you how much im lovin ced's, couldn't tell you why it just fascinates me!

Anyways i got my parts in today and put a new function motor drive belt on my sjt-090 now it works like a dream other than i think need to test different discs, but it seems to me like id need a new stylus or at best a cleaning. not sure could be the ced i tried.

Now on to my big question.... i bought an sft-100 and it came with all the boxes and original cords haha i was so happy. I did know it was broke so i was prepared to fix this thing anyways. But i opened her up and put a disc in and everything seems to work lights go on it says 00 on display and disc spins up. But it seems like the whole arm that carries the stylus is dead. i checked the servo drive belt and it looks ok but you cant fast forward or rewind. Arm just doesnt move the stylus? Any ideas on what is wrong or how to fix? Any help is greatly appreciated! I'll upload some pics here in a bit to show you guys how clean this sucker really is!

remember to clicky pictures its just a thumbnail!

McMicheal 5001h
Hitachi VIP202P
JCP 686-5705
RCA SKT265, SKT300
RCA SJT400X, SJT425
Beetlescott

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey!!!!! Welcome to our lworld of CEDmagic!!! There are a great deal of new guys here, many just joined lately. Congratulations on scoring th player in the box, we love players that come with the original box. As far as the SJT090, How many different CEDs have your tried? We have a great guy who specializes in our styli. His email is www.cedatum.net. He will give you his mailing address, so you can send your stylus. He specializes in cleaning, diagnoising stylus. He is a great guy and honest, so if it needs to be cleaned, it's about 8.00 dollars total, and if something is wrong with it, or if it needs to be rebuilt, he will give you a price for that, (around 34.00). Some of you guys who know a lot more about these players than I do can help you with the SFT100. Again, I don't know how many CEDs you have tried, that will tell the tale. I wish you good luck in beginning this great hobby. I have only been back since October, and I have 3 player, an SGT250, SJT300 & the GRANDADDY of all of them, my SJT400, (and a Zenith model on the way:)) Good Luck!!!!!
SKT-100
Alchemy

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you tried cleaning it up a bit and hitting it with a light coat of Deoxit? Works wonders for my stereos anyway Smile

welcome to the lunacy.... stay away from those guys with multiple players though, they are infectious Wink
RT9342

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would suggest trying the rapid access fast-forward to see if it does anything. Being that you get a 00, you obviously have a working stylus & good circuitry. Every couple of years, my player will start doing that. I usually do a semi-permanent fix by adjusting a SERVO BAL adjustment on the player arm, but in the mean time, the rapid access fast-forward fixes it temporarily - then I just slowly rewind, but not all the way to the very beginning. If this works for you, I would then see if the visual search fast-forward works. If it looks more like freeze-frame than fast-forward, then the servo bal needs adjustment. There's a little hole in the copper cover on the arm - it takes a hex tool (I'm not what size) - I usually play with it until I find a point where visual search rewind & fast-forward both seem to go at an equal speed.
blindfury420

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

not sure what to do, the rapid search wont move the arm in fact no buttons move the arm at all Sad i have noticed from my other sft 100 that when u turn on the player an L appears right away and when u put switch down to load, still an L and when u play it flashes -- then 0 and plays the ced. on this broken one no matter where its at besides off its two giant 00.

McMicheal 5001h
Hitachi VIP202P
JCP 686-5705
RCA SKT265, SKT300
RCA SJT400X, SJT425
RT9342

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh...it even displays 00 in the load position...and none of the buttons work. I'm almost positive that you have a bad CPU. If you know enough about electronics and are good enough at soldering to replace the CPU, I might still have a used CPU somewhere that I could send you...I just have to look to see where it is, if I still have it (I think I do, I don't remember throwing it out). Or, another alternative, if you don't mind investing some money in the player to get it fixed, would be to send it to CEDatum for repair. I know they can fix it.
blindfury420

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can solder! If you can find that cpu that'd be awesome, I'd love to attempt the fix!

McMicheal 5001h
Hitachi VIP202P
JCP 686-5705
RCA SKT265, SKT300
RCA SJT400X, SJT425
RT9342

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool, and I just happened to see a CED player board laying in the corner of my room with a CPU - just what I was looking for. Please keep in mind, though, I will need to desolder the CPU from the board before I can send it (and I apologize for not mentioning that before, but at least you know that you're getting a CPU that was actually working correctly in a CED player). I have a lot of CED related soldering to do (I'm way behind, and I hope the folks that I'm doing it for can forgive me for the long delay), but I'll work on desoldering the CPU as I do the other soldering. If you can e-mail me sometime at rtrecordstx (either @yahoo.com, hotmail.com, or gmail.com - I have accounts on all of those services), then we can discuss where to mail it to, etc.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: