CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion
Forum topics can be anything related to SelectaVision CED's, and could include offers to buy/sell/trade, repair advice, historical anecdotes, caches of CED's you've discovered, etc.

Click on the Register link to join.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

SJT-090 parts source?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Worldtree

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 10:03 am    Post subject: SJT-090 parts source? Reply with quote

We just bought an SJT-090 that was supposed to be working upon arrival, but one of the intermediate gears for the stylus chassis drive is broken, so the machine just whirrs (un)happily when powered up. After taking the lid off and manipulating some of the assemblies manually, it appears as though all of the loading/unloading/lowering et al mechanisms function, at least sometimes Smile so I am hoping that just replacing this gear and doing some tweaking will resolve all of our issues.

In any case, I had read that some members here are aware of trustworthy websites where spare parts can be ordered...anyone have any specific input?

Thanks!
mnallard

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I experienced worse problems with a player I got off ebay...except mine came with extras. When I popped the top off my player, I found a 3" long metal file and a disc. The disc plays poorly and was warped. Too bad too because the movie was Code Of Silence.

Sounds to me like the player may need a new belt. If you power on the system and all you hear is a whirr and the display shows -- then the belt is bad. If it is any of the gears on the Left-Rear of the player, most of those can easily be replaced. The motor that controls the pick-up armiture is on the right. You'll be able to recognize this assembly by the only black-colored gear in the system. If you are going to replace some parts, I'd advise that you do a routine maintenance on the player before playing movies. I'd remove the stylus and check it. I clean the diamond tip with a q-tip dipped in alchohol on one end. This is the most delicate part in the system so handle with great care! The turntable is actually part of a direct-drive motor system. It can be removed from the base as it is just sitting their. You will have to rotate it while gently pulling on it to free it. I'd lube the axle of the turntable with Marvel's Mystery Oil and I'd also put one drop in the hole that supports the turntable.

For parts, here are some of the web sites I find best. Don't go to RCA as they have never heard of these players. Shocking isn't it?

www.cedmagic.com look for the parts list. Tom sells parts or has links to various other sites that may have a part you are looking for.

www.cedatrum.com this guy as all sorts of new parts for the players. He even has new stylus.

www.cedcentral.com this place has currently changed ownership. If and when it's back up and running, I'd contact this guy. He also has new and used movies and reconditioned players for sale.

Hope this helps you out. Good Luck with your player.

KEEP THOSE CEDS PLAYING!

END OF LINE
Worldtree

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks! I appreciate the input. It's definitely a broken gear in our case, although as you say that may not be the extent of the issue.

Thanks also for the tips on routine maintenance, we'll definitely perform those before we button it back up.
CEDatum

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 6:58 pm    Post subject: SJT-090 Parts Source. Reply with quote

CEDatum has a good supply of parts for RCA CED players including the SJT-090 - And yes- I have the 3rd reduction gear.

e-mail : cedatum@ccrtc.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: