CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion
Forum topics can be anything related to SelectaVision CED's, and could include offers to buy/sell/trade, repair advice, historical anecdotes, caches of CED's you've discovered, etc.

Click on the Register link to join.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

For the CED magic website&RCA copyright

Post new topic   Reply to topic    CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
systemcat

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2005 10:24 pm    Post subject: For the CED magic website&RCA copyright Reply with quote

I'm backing up all my CEDs on to DVD so that if my player ever dies I still have the movies.One of my CEDs is the " CED Stereo Videodiscs" demo disc.It's fun to watch because of it's age if your into the history of video formats.I want to make a second copy of this,for this web site,but when I called RCA on the matter.To ask about making a nonback up copy for the web site no one at RCA knew what a CED was! How do I get the ok to make a second copy (nonback up)?Would any one like to see this disc?
videodiscer

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2005 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! You're a much more legal-conscious person than I am! With any of the older formats, you can pretty much consider their copyright protections expired. Unless you are going to mass produce your RCA Demo movie and make a fortune, I'm sure RCA doesn't care at all if you make 1, 2, or even a bunch of copies. Like you said, they don't even know they invented the thing! I'm glad that you are so careful around the copyright law though. In today's arena of electronic information, it seems the notion of what a copyright means has become less and less important as more and more people download and copy information illegally. Go ahead with your extra copies. More power to ya! -Chauncey
systemcat

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2005 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you one of the ones who works on this web site? Because I need the ok of the ones or the single person codes this site.To have this I think 44 minute movie(if you want to call it that) on the site.If it's legally ok to make this copy I need to know where to send it? I think it will but waaay to big to send through email,and I don't have an FTP site.
mnallard

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 3:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey! You don't have to worry about the copyright...all of the THEN RCA disc's masters have been destroyed OTHER than the ones TOM has. As for posting the Movie on the site...you'd have to get permission from Tom first. Try emailing him personnally as see what he says. Don't get upset, we are only here to help. I'd like to see the movie myself! Sounds really cool Cool

The RCA of the 80's that was responsible for the CED players and discs was entirely USA owned and operated! After RCA pulled the plug on both, it was bought by some company in China and new employees were hired. That's why no one at RCA has even heard of the CED format. It's a shame too, but it also pretty much releases the copyrights to any RCA manufactured disc and player. Which means...you are free to do with them as you wish. And yes...I agree...it is great that you are "obeying" the copyright stuff. You are going about this the right way.

Good Luck to you and your adventure!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mnallard wrote:
The RCA of the 80's that was responsible for the CED players and discs was entirely USA owned and operated! After RCA pulled the plug on both, it was bought by some company in China and new employees were hired. That's why no one at RCA has even heard of the CED format. It's a shame too, but it also pretty much releases the copyrights to any RCA manufactured disc and player. Which means...you are free to do with them as you wish. And yes...I agree...it is great that you are "obeying" the copyright stuff. You are going about this the right way.

RCA was acquired by General Electric in 1986. It was then broken apart and most of the pieces were sold to Thomson, which is based in France.

RCA Records was sold to the Bertlesmann Music Group in Germany, which recently merged with Sony Music to form Sony BMG.

NBC was kept by General Electric, which recently merged with Universal for form NBC Universal.

Copyrights would likely have been part of the sale, which means that Thomson may still control the copyrights for CED. However, CED is an obsolete technology that has been out of the view of the mainstream for almost 20 years. I seriously doubt that any company that owns the CED trademarks and copyrights would care about any kind of infringement concerning that particular product because, quite simply, there isn't really any remaining profit potential in the technology to be threatened by infringement.

As for the CED software themselves, the content contained within the discs will most likely have copyrights that are still actively protected. The only difference would be who currently owns the rights. For instance, you might get a legal notice from Sony rather than Coca-Cola if you were caught trying to distribute videotape copies of your CED version of "Stripes." Throughout the late 1970s up to the late 1980s, Coke owned Columbia Pictures until Coke sold their motion picture division to Sony Corporation. - Reinhart
mnallard

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It might also be noted that RCA did produce its own programs for the CED format which vary from concerts to shows mainly aimed at a family audience. The concerts I'm not too sure about who owns the copyrights other than the record labels you might see appear on the jacket covers, but considering that GE now owns some of RCA, they may also own the rights to the concerts that were put on these discs. And, yes, I did forget to mention that the programs contained on the discs would still be copyrighted and some are slowly coming to DVD. I just saw Stripes tonight at work. And, yes, Sony owns the rights to the movie.

The RCA VideoDiscs that were used to demonstrate the player's abilities, similar to the one you are talking about copying, may or may not have a copyright any longer. You might try contacting GE and see what they say. You might try any of GE's parent or sister divisions as well.

For the concerts, you might try contacting the company that releases or released their records. And example of this would be the Dolly In London concert. Dolly had a record contract with RCA when the disc was made. However, any concert that RCA wanted to release for CEDs had to be okayed by the record label that housed the artist(s). You have a lot of home work ahead of you. Keep in mind that Sony not only owns Columbia but also owns Epic, K-Tel, and a few others as well. IRS, who published the GoGos and a few others, is one label I'm not sure what happened. Actually, Sony is getting to where it owns too much!

Good luck with your adventure and hope that this information is helpful.

KEEP THOSE CEDS PLAYING

END OF LINE
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: