CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion
Forum topics can be anything related to SelectaVision CED's, and could include offers to buy/sell/trade, repair advice, historical anecdotes, caches of CED's you've discovered, etc.

Click on the Register link to join.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Experience With SFT-100W Won Off Ebay

Post new topic   Reply to topic    CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mnallard

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2005 11:41 pm    Post subject: Experience With SFT-100W Won Off Ebay Reply with quote

The SFT-100W (RCA) player I won off ebay just arrived 2 days ago. After taking it out of the box with the broken up pieces of styrofoam (not worth the $35 I paid for shipping), I heard a rattle which at first sounded like the player had a few parts loose.

Before I popped the top, I plugged it in just to make sure that it had power was wanting to work. Needless to say, the player came on but started playing a movie (Code Of Silence with Chuck Norris). I had no way to remove the disc other than gently removing one of my good ones from its casing just long enough to remove the disc from the player.

Carefully turning the system over to remove the screws, the metalic clang sent a chill. I removed the screws and popped the top off. Sitting on the turntable was about a 3 inch long metal file Evil or Very Mad I removed it and checked and cleaned the stylus while I was at it. The stylus is actually in great shape for its age although considering what I found in the player I'm surprised. To put the top back on, I had to flip the unit back over. There was still a clang. I removed the bottom cover to find some change...over $2.00 worth!

Before putting everything back together, I checked the conditions of the belts which are surprisingly new and check the player for some lubrication (of which I still need to do as of this writing). The player managed to survive some unneccessary abuse, which doesn't surprise me considering it was obviously a rental at one time due to the extra writting on the back panel. I also had to fix the button on the back of the unit that allows the top panel to pop open. The button was placed upside-down.

I now have a great vintage RCA Videodisc player that I'm proud to own. It plays very well and I don't intend to part with it for anything. I've also found another way to clean your discs. Check my other posting, Cleaning your CEDs! The whole morale of this posting is to warn those shopping for these players off ebay to expect the unexpected. My player was mishandled badly and was falsely advertised.

Good luck with your players and hope that this little bit of information proves helpful to you! Wink
forrest

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 7:06 pm    Post subject: Bad experience as well.... Reply with quote

This happened a couple of years ago, but I too received a falsley advertised SGT 100 model that had a 'few" problems. It was shipped with no packing and was in pieces when it arived! luckilly I didn't pay too much for it (Or the shipping). I luckilly bought again from a a very honest seller who sent me a pristine machine, which I still have to this day - Nope, I wouldn't part with mone either!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: