CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion
Forum topics can be anything related to SelectaVision CED's, and could include offers to buy/sell/trade, repair advice, historical anecdotes, caches of CED's you've discovered, etc.

Click on the Register link to join.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Troubles with SKT-090

Post new topic   Reply to topic    CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Videodiscer

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 3:58 pm    Post subject: Troubles with SKT-090 Reply with quote

I just got a non-working SKT-90 player from the guy who offered the discs and player in WA. What a great guy! Almost all of the discs were bought from the goodwill or other thrift stores for between 4-12 bucks. He gave me all 60 and the player for nothing! Yes! This is humanity at its best! Back to to the SKT player. When I turn it on there is the high-pitched hum of a motor towards the back. It does not accept any discs and the firmiliar -- apears on the display. Where can I go from here? -C

P.S.- Nobody responded to my posting about direct drive vs. belt driven. Why? Are there no opinions or facts on the subject? I'm really interested.
Videodiscer

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 4:02 pm    Post subject: An addition Reply with quote

Sorry I didn't give much information on exactly what the problem was. I just took a closer look and realized what one problem was. The belt in the back left corner that is hooked up to a small motor (loading belt?) was not moving with the rotating motor. But should that motor be making as much noise as it is? I know I have it on with the cover off, but still, it is a bit loud. Back to the belt- does anyone have any other suggestions besides going down to the hardware store and finding a similar belt to fit it? Thanks, Chauncey
Videodiscer

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 7:22 pm    Post subject: Another brilliant addition Reply with quote

After replacing the belt with one I made from a longer spare, which I cut down and super glued together, a plastic piece in the far right corner broke. It was covered in an old glue. Someone had obviously tried to repair it in the past but had hooked it up wrong. It connects to the metal rod that goes underneath the platter to lift up the disc. I took some photos if someone needs a look. Does anyone have a spare? Otherwise, I'll have to do the same thing as the last person-- gluing it together. I don't think this will work well since the take-up rod has a spring attatched to it for tension. If I had a bottle of $60 super glue it might work. But all I have is a bottle of stuff you can get at the local hardware store. Help me out friends, Chauncey

P.S.- Kinda' funny that I'm the only one replying to my own messages. I'll give some time before I feel depressed Smile .[/img]
mnallard

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2005 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy Good news...your player isn't hopeless. Don't try to glue the gear back together...a new one can be purchased! Don't try to operate the unit until you get that gear replaced! You will end up damaging both the unit and and any movies you put in the machine!

The motor in question is actually responsible for the loading, unloading of discs, opening and closing the caddy door and the lifting and lowering of the disc to and from the turntable. Quite a feat for one motor. The high pitched sound is normal and when fixed properly should calm down.

I can email you a parts list from a web site I found, but i will need your full email address. Don't worry...I'm going to send you any junk mail as I too like to keep my SFT-100W going, and I've got more stuff to replace.

Hope that my information helps and good luck to both you and your SKT-090.

Mike
mnallard@alltel.net
mnallard

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2005 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry man...it was supposed to say that I would NOT send you junk mail..darn typos. Also...you need to replace the belt with a new one. It also wouldn't hurt to check the condition of the stylus. If you feel confident, manually move the arm forward and using a small flat-head screwdriver to pry to one side the retaining wire holding the stylus compartment door shut, lift the door and gently, GENLTY, remove the cartridge to check for damage or debris build-up. This will need to be done if you don't receive a signal after the other parts have been replaced. New stylus' can be obtained but are the most costly parts you are going to run into. I'm here to help you if and when you need it. It may take me some time to respond due to my work hours...but I will check in from time to time. Good Luck.
CVideodiscer

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2005 11:36 pm    Post subject: Yeah! Reply with quote

Great! I already tried fixing the plastic piece and now when I insert a movie, the disc is removed and everything, but then the toothed gears next to the piece I fixed (upper right corner) stop moving and grind together (that popping sound of the gears teeth jumping over the other's.) I just bought the belt for the motor off of CEDMagic. To get started, I've already jerry-rigged my own belt out of a larger belt I altered down to size. It's working well enough so far. Yes, I did check the stylus. Looks good to me. It's amazing the difference between these cartridges and ones for record players. So much more fragile! I'll email you for that broken piece. In the mean time, does anyone know the problem with these gears jumping? -C

P.S.- I'm glad I have an enthusiastic helper on my tail. Thanks a bunch! Wink
mnallard

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2005 3:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just won a player off eBay, an SFT-100W. Who knows, we both may be needing help. Wink

I believe that if you replace the gear, your grinding sound may stop. The glue may be putting a drag on the gears. Have you actually watched what the player is doing with the top off? It's about the only way you are going to pin point where exactly the sound is coming from. Make sure the gears mesh correctly. All the gears should line up perfect, very little to no overlapping of the gears should be seen. Also, check the gears responsible for the pick-up armiture. And does this sound happen when the disc starts to spin?

The gear is going to run you about $7.50 from the place I mentioned. You might ask Tom from CEDMagic. I also have a friend who's publishing an Atari 800 game for me who just happens to be a collector of CEDs as well and used to actually rent/sell the systems and discs. I'll drop him a line and get back to you just as soon as I receive word. I would avoid using the player until you get the grinding to stop...you may end up damaging the whole unit beyond repair and parts are getting hard to obtain for these systems. I'd rather see you wait and spend a few bucks than to have to find another player altogether. What I'm telling you is what I've learned from experience.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: