CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion
Forum topics can be anything related to SelectaVision CED's, and could include offers to buy/sell/trade, repair advice, historical anecdotes, caches of CED's you've discovered, etc.

Click on the Register link to join.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Satellite Photos of CED Facilities in Indiana

Post new topic   Reply to topic    CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cedmagic
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 2:31 am    Post subject: Satellite Photos of CED Facilities in Indiana Reply with quote

Google now provides the ability to view detailed Satellite images of many cities via their Maps site:

http://maps.google.com/

I tried this with the RCA plants in Indiana, and you can zoom close enough for the VideoDisc plant to be about 5 inches high on a typical computer display. To view the Disc plant, copy and paste the following search string into the Google Maps search box. You can then zoom in and toggle between a map view and a satellite view:

7900 Rockville Rd 46214

Here's a search string for RCA headquarters in Indianapolis, which is still being used by Thomson:

600 N Sherman Dr 46201

And in Bloomington, Indiana, this search for the apparently now defunct RCA Drive still works:

W RCA Dr 47403

This Bloomington player and TV plant was shut down for television manufacturing in 1998 and sat vacant for several years. From the satellite photo it looks like the plant has been torn down and is now an empty lot.

--Tom Howe
duckie909

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 12:19 pm    Post subject: Thompson no longer own's 600 north Sherman Dr.... Reply with quote

Tom,

I am a fellow enthusiast for CED and love your site! I happen to move to Indianapolis, IN 3 years ago for work. Little did I know I live about 5 minutes from the old plant on 600 North Sherman Dr. The Plant is now some sort of office park. About a week ago I realized how close I live to the plant and took a drive around the old plant. As far as I could tell, there are no marking of RCA anywhere on the plant. There is an old sign with land scaping around it that says Thompson on it. although, the Thompson has been covered over, but you can still see that it was supose to say thompson on it. Smile
A friend of my who use to work for a local electronic's store says he took a tour of the old plant and said they use to have an old consold tv in th front that was made out of see through plexeglass. He said it was pretty neat. Well, got to go. Feal free to ask me anything else about the old site. it's pretty cool to live in the town where this was all developed.
-Howard
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: