CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion
Forum topics can be anything related to SelectaVision CED's, and could include offers to buy/sell/trade, repair advice, historical anecdotes, caches of CED's you've discovered, etc.

Click on the Register link to join.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CEDs at the Library of Congress

Post new topic   Reply to topic    CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
scoodee

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 8:19 am    Post subject: CEDs at the Library of Congress Reply with quote

A couple weeks ago I was fortunate enough to get a tour of the Library of Congress' National Audio Visual Conservation Center (NAVCC - http://www.loc.gov/avconservation/packard/). I was able to take some pictures during the tour and I noticed a stack of CED players that they were using to digitize some CEDs.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3391/3607798540_b951599a6e.jpg?v=0

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2334/3606980443_85d68076e7.jpg?v=0

I thought you guys might find this interesting.
xorcize

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very interesting. Thanks!

It is kind of surprising to see them using what appears to be SJT090 lower-end models to do the archiving. These models only have RF outputs, which is the poorest quality video output.

Also, I wonder what they could be archiving, that isn't available on Laserdisc, VHS or DVD?

Rixrex

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, considerng it's a government project with folks in charge who probably don't know a great amount about CED technology, and likely got whatever was available at lowest cost, I'm not surprised that it would be a lesser model.

Of course, in the distant future, those viewing the archives will say such things as, No wonder the technology didn't last with such limited quality, not knowing any better.
xorcize

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From this thread, some interesting links:

http://www.boingboing.net/2010/06/09/gallery-digitizing-t.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=osn06HAEvH0
Jesse Skeen

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whoever chose those players should be fired, and they should hire ME to finish the project! Cool
Beetlescott

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it is very interesting that our format would be represented!!! You know, I think about it, if RCA had of gotten together in 1964, when there was no video of any kind, it would of, or could of been a great success. IMHO, I think it would of had a good run, and prolly eventually run it's course once tapes, laser and all that eventually did come out. It would of had a much stronger run, and we would have much larger chisce of movies:)
SKT-100
Caroline

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 1:05 pm    Post subject: Digitizing analog media Reply with quote

Ive also noticed such projects in the Netherlands. ( Not CEDs, they are almost unknown here, but old Laservision Discs, the first generation of european Laserdiscs. )

But it really makes no sense digitizing CEDs, or ?
Because a CED will "live" much much longer as every digital media.

Ive tried to read old CD-Rs and CD-RWs last week, burned only 10 years ago, every second CD had reading errors.
Beetlescott

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree. CEDs that have sat on shelves for 25 to 30 years, taken off the shelf, and popped into a working CED player, and plays like a dream. That says something about this little format.
SKT-100
Rixrex

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're right, but there's always some government bureaucratic archivist trying to think of ways to keep working on doing something that makes less sense than if the originals were stored in a proper way.

They're trying to apply microfilm technology aspects to CEDs that are not as useful as keeping the originals intact.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: