CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion
Forum topics can be anything related to SelectaVision CED's, and could include offers to buy/sell/trade, repair advice, historical anecdotes, caches of CED's you've discovered, etc.

Click on the Register link to join.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Function motor belt goo removal

Post new topic   Reply to topic    CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ChateauxFaygeaux

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 11:02 pm    Post subject: Function motor belt goo removal Reply with quote

Hey, all:

I was just curious what you all have used to remove the pile of goo that the J/K function belt becomes over time. I tried 70% Isopropyl Alcohol, which helps a bit, but I'm still having trouble getting it out of the belt grooves and gear teeth.

I'm hesitant to use a more powerful solvent in fear that I'd dissolve the goo AND the gears. Does anyone have a "magic formula" that they'd like to share? Is Goo Gone any good? Just curious...
cedmagic
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 6:02 pm    Post subject: Removal of Black Tar from CED Player Gear Mechanism Reply with quote

I haven't tried this particular product, but a couple weeks ago Bill sent me an email recommending "Touch of Glass" to remove the black goo. Here is the photo he attached followed by his testimonial on the product.

--Tom Howe

touch-of-glass

http://www.flickr.com/photo_zoom.gne?id=466605430&size=o

I recently bought some Star Trek RCA Selectavision Laser Discs from Ebay. I collect Star Trek memorabilia.

Anyway I bought them because I remembered my mother had bought a player for the discs many moons ago.

When I plugged the unit in it just hummed like a motor was constantly running, and it was because the drive belt was totally gone.

The residue left behind was just like you said; it was like tar. I tried everything I could think of to try and clean things up. Nothing seemed to work, then i tried one last thing a Spray bottle of "Touch of Glass". I attached a couple pictures I hope they turned out.

This stuff was like magic as soon as it came in contact of the gears i needed to clean it dissolved the tar like substance. I poured a little in a small glass tumbler and let the gears soak, they were like brand new after a few minuets. I used a Qtip to clean the small pulley on the motor.

Anyway I got a lot of useful information from your site so I'm paying it forward with this useful information. You wont believe how fast it works, it has ammonia in it; maybe thats why it works so good.
matt carr

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know I am bringing back an old thread but I had the same problem with my Realistic player when I bought it at a Radio Shack that was closing down. I ended up cleaning out the pulleys with nail polish remover and qtips.
cbertra2

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Goo Gone adhesive remover will work but do not let it come in contact with anything rubber inside the player.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: