CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion
Forum topics can be anything related to SelectaVision CED's, and could include offers to buy/sell/trade, repair advice, historical anecdotes, caches of CED's you've discovered, etc.

Click on the Register link to join.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Could this be a worn stylus?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
doity

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2005 11:27 am    Post subject: Could this be a worn stylus? Reply with quote

Hi, I have a beloved SGT-250 player that went bad last night. I was watching a movie when all of a sudden the video went totally black. The audio portion was fine though. I tried reinserting the disc and it spun up but I did not get anything and the track number did not show on the display, just a couple of dashes.

Does this mean my stylus is shot? I tried reseating the stylus and the disc does spin up which would seem to indicate that the belt(s) are still intact. If not the stylus, what other problems could it be?

BTW, I have a large number (250) discs and would be interested in selling some to anyone locally (Portland, OR) if interested.

thanks
Luke
joplinbeta

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2005 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might remove the stylus and check the tip to see if it still exists. It might have hit a foreign object on the disc and broke off or became too dull to use further at that point. The cartridge may have also become dislodged, so reseat it firmly after you inspect. No picture and not able to read control info can certainly be a bad worn stylus along with many other things.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well here is an update. I changed out the stylus and the player is doing the same thing. The platter seems to spin up fine but the pickup mechanism that holds the stylus does not seem to advance. Could this be a broken belt? What is strange is that when it broke I was able to get audio, but no video. What would all of these symptoms point to? Any thoughts Tom?

Luke

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have one that does the same thing- just a "--" comes on the display when trying to play a disc. Someone told me it might be an IC that needs replacing- I have another one that I know has good electronics but has a mechanical problem, so if I can ever figure out which part the IC is I'll try swapping it.
videodiscer

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2005 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Luke,

I live above you in Washington. I am planning to take a trip down to Portland sometime in the near future and would be glad to take those 250 discs off your hands. Unfortunately, I'm incredably cheap, so hopefully your not trying to make some cash off of the sale. Let me know, Chauncey

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2005 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

videodiscer wrote:
Hey Luke,

I live above you in Washington. I am planning to take a trip down to Portland sometime in the near future and would be glad to take those 250 discs off your hands. Unfortunately, I'm incredably cheap, so hopefully your not trying to make some cash off of the sale. Let me know, Chauncey

Hi Chauncey, sure I would be happy to let you take them off of my hands. I am hoping to get $.50 per disc. They are all quality titles......a friend of mine who is a videophile helped me pick them out of a larger collection that was for sale. If you want to contact me my email address is doidy1@juno.com.

Luke
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: