CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion
Forum topics can be anything related to SelectaVision CED's, and could include offers to buy/sell/trade, repair advice, historical anecdotes, caches of CED's you've discovered, etc.

Click on the Register link to join.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What is the best player?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CEDRCA

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 1:33 pm    Post subject: What is the best player? Reply with quote

I have a Sears Mono and the RCA stereo one, but in your opinion, what is the best one made?
Jesse Skeen

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having played with several, my favorite is the RCA SGT-250. It's built like a tank, and starts playing discs reasonably fast- I was using an SJT-300 for a while and it was frustrating how it took several seconds to start playing, plus it took longer to be ready to unload the disc at the end of a side and start playing the next one. I also like how the 250 lets you play the dual-audio discs straight through in stereo- the second audio channel is actually the out-of-phase information, the same way Dolby Surround is encoded, so you can play a dual-language movie and hear the English track in the front center with the Spanish track in the surrounds.

I've never gotten a hold of a random-access 400 player, since they've never turned up around here and they go for way too much on Ebay, but someone once told me using the random-access features damages the discs so I'm not in much of a hurry to get one. The 250 has the rapid-access search where it lifts the stylus off the disc as the time counter goes forwards or backwards, so you can skip to any spot you want on the disc and not have to worry about causing wear on the stylus or disc. I have one machine I use just for spot-checking the condition of discs.

The Hitachi players aren't the greatest, but they have a neat design. I like how they don't need to be powered on or off, they just turn on whenever a caddy's inserted, kind of like my Panasonic 8-track deck. You can't get much more retro than a corded remote either! Not a good idea to keep it plugged in when you've got wild cats running about your place though.
7jlong

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've only ever owned two models: the SJT300 and the SFT100. While the early models are cool looking and the 100 is notable as being the first production model, I found it to be an irritating machine due to the the complexity of opening it up. It is not a fun process.

The SJT300, on the other hand, is very easy to service if your procedures don't wander towards the circuit boards too much - though even then the "service mode" with the board exposed is fairly easy to accomplish.

The problems I have found with these are wonderfully predictable: melted drive belt, perhaps a broken reduction gear (it is designed to pull itself apart to spare the motor in case of trouble). Because of the nature of the design, they are also spectacularly easy to fix. Parts are available (see Tom's site or the forum), and instructions are easily found.

I don't remember if this is a problem unique (or more easily found) in the SJT series, but I did end up with one parts machine because the turntable wobbled so badly. I guess this isn't uncommon if the machine was transported roughly.

I can't say the load time ever occurred to me, but I suppose it would if I had ever seen an SGT250 in action. I used to have an unbelievably slow LaserDisc player, though, so awkward load times are par for the course for me (and both are still faster than suffering through FBI warnings on DVDs... ha!)
planetcadillac

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont think the interactive features damages the discs. Why would they? My SKT400 uses the same stylus as the SKT100. By allowing the stylus to move across the disc on command could create the slightest amount of extra wear that wear is slight and you would have to use the hell out of the disc and the random features to create enough meaningful wear.

I used to own an SKT100 and I prefer the 400 for the obvious reasons. I do not use my player much these days. I have it hooked up to an older RCA stereo TV that runs off the upgraded interactive remote.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
virus202

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want long load times, buy the Samsung BD-P1000 Blu Ray Player. Last night, I was trying to play 'Ghost Rider' and it took about 5 minutes to load, that was of course, after it ejected the disc 3 times telling me that it was an unplayable disc. I hate it, but it was a hand-me-down from my father in law. It also takes over a minute to open the disc tray to even load a disc! Twisted Evil I have updated the firmware once, looks like it's time to try again. Off topic, I know, but relatable to show that things don't always get better with new technology.
krbsforty

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am also curious. I only own 3 monaural CED players, without remote controls or any other special features. The only CED players I have ever owned & used are my RCA SFT100W & my RCA SKT090. I also own a Sears 934.54780150, but it is not working & I am unsure how to repair it. I have never had any stereophonic CED players either, although I own stereophonic movies on CED. So, what does every one else think is the best CED player?
ketonic_dude

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think there is a best player. Just eveyones favorites. Technically the best player should be the top of the line model, SJT-400. I do like the SJT-400 because it seems to play discs with scratches or dirt on them much better than the other players, and if there is a big scratch or dirty part the needle will just jump right over it to the next good section rather than having the screen jumping up and down and cutting in and out which can be hard on the eyes. Idealy you want to have discs that play perfectly but in the real world it doesn't always work out that way. My favorite player though is my Sears Model 934.54800250. I'm not really sure why it has just always preformed well for me and plays great. It also looks great paired with it's matching Sears TV that I have. If only I had the remote for the Sears CED player I'd be all set.
SelectaVision420

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i pick the sgt-250
Rixrex

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

virus202 wrote:
If you want long load times, buy the Samsung BD-P1000 Blu Ray Player. Last night, I was trying to play 'Ghost Rider' and it took about 5 minutes to load, that was of course, after it ejected the disc 3 times telling me that it was an unplayable disc. I hate it, but it was a hand-me-down from my father in law. It also takes over a minute to open the disc tray to even load a disc! :twisted: I have updated the firmware once, looks like it's time to try again. Off topic, I know, but relatable to show that things don't always get better with new technology.

HD DVDs load way faster and have the same HD resolution, and are region free.

You can thank Sony and their hurt feelings over Betamax, plus their gigantic graft and payola effort to weasel all the film companies over. If it had been a true free market like the 70s, Blu Ray would have never beat HD DVD.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: