CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion
Forum topics can be anything related to SelectaVision CED's, and could include offers to buy/sell/trade, repair advice, historical anecdotes, caches of CED's you've discovered, etc.

Click on the Register link to join.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

SFT-100 Audio Stopped

Post new topic   Reply to topic    CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bkville

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 4:40 pm    Post subject: SFT-100 Audio Stopped Reply with quote

I bought another Selectavision with 94 disks for $40.. Testing it this afternoon the audio stopped working after about 15 minutes, i was bummed.. We tried a different disk after the audio stopped working but, still no audio..

Any ideas...

Thanks, Brent
Rixrex

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a bummer. At least you got the discs, but nothing to play them on. Wait for the e-mailing to go out this Sunday, then check the postings. Some folks don't post until after the e-mailing.

If I recall, that model (sft-100) has only RF output, no separate video/audio out, correct, and is monaural?

If not an easy fix, it may be best to let it become a parts player and move on up to a stereo model, skt or sjt.
Bkville

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darrell, the CEDPRO, said "probably has a bad Audio Processing IC, their known to fail."
I didn't really expect much from this SFT-100, anyway.. Good thing, Hahaha.. I had already been planning to send Darrell one of my 8, now 9, non working machines for reconditioning..

Yes, the SFT-100 only has coaxial output.. The SFT-100 was the first model RCA put out in 1981, actually it's an SFT-100w..

I was kinda hoping the audio problem could have been an easy fix but, it's probably as Darrell stated..

Thanks, Brent
RT9342

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

True, it may be the audio IC, but I would also play around with the green variable capacitor near that chip (it has a brass shaft coming up off of it, with a small hex-shaped head). Be careful with it - it's easy to tear up the plastic insulators on this part, but I have been able to get my old Zenith (which was just an SFT-100 [W] in a different shell) to start playing audio after doing that, when it's audio just died one day. Keep in mind too that if you over-adjust this part, it can distort the audio signal if it comes back in, so be real careful how you adjust it, if you hear any sound come back in while working with it.
RT9342

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, and you might also try tapping the AUDIO test point (see the label on the bottom cover) to see if there's audio present. There's always a possibility that the audio is just not making its way out the modulator for one reason or another. (Just a reminder, in case you didn't know, the AUDIO test point, as well as the VIDEO test point, can be tapped off of, and with a few inexpensive elecronic parts, you can get a suitable audio/video signal from these players, rather than having to use the RF output).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: