CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion
Forum topics can be anything related to SelectaVision CED's, and could include offers to buy/sell/trade, repair advice, historical anecdotes, caches of CED's you've discovered, etc.

Click on the Register link to join.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

A Little Much (Players on eBay)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dpcayealmc

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 8:41 pm    Post subject: A Little Much (Players on eBay) Reply with quote

I'm curious to know what a person would willingly pay for a CED player on eBay? What is too much? I'm only considering the RCA series 090 to 400 series players. I was amazed when I was looking this past week for players at the prices the sellers wanted. I was seeing great low starting bids, but reserve and buy it now prices that were in the hundreds of dollars. Granted I like my hobby, but I think that's a bit much. Staying warm this winter is more important to me. Just my two cents, looking forward to yours.
toasterking

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I was seeing great low starting bids, but reserve and buy it now prices that were in the hundreds of dollars. Granted I like my hobby, but I think that's a bit much.

I was in the same situation when looking for mine. My solution was to create a saved search on eBay which would find broken CED players and email me when a match was found. My search string was something like:
Code:
(ced, selectavision, videodisc) player ("as-is", "as is", broken, "not working", missing) -laser -laserdisc

(On eBay, multiple keywords/phrases in parentheses have an implied OR boolean operator.)

I ended up with a couple for under $50 each (not including shipping) -- one economical SFT100 and one top-of-the-line SKT400. Besides saving on cost, this also gave me a chance to learn a lot more about the player hardware by repairing it, which I was also (and still am) very interested in.
7jlong

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's the thing about the searches though - the above search string assumes that 1) people can spell and 2) people know what the machine actually is.

I found the Stereo Alignment Disc by searching under "video disck" and paid a very low price for it - I suspect no one found it because of the misspelling. I have also often spotted Selectavision players and discs mis-posted (in eBay and Craigslist) as Laserdisc items - again, I think just because it was often the beaten search path not as many people found the listing (and therefore the price stayed somewhat under control).
7jlong

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As for finding players, persistence is the key. The "stock" is thinning, but deals are still to be had - I did buy a couple of players through eBay for around $50 each, but I was shocked to breeze through my local Goodwill one day and find an SJT300. It clearly lived with a heavy smoker (was rather yellow) and needed the usual tune-ups, but once it was up and running it had the best picture of any player I've dealt with and has become my cornerstone player.

Eight bucks.

Rare, but it happens. Keep watching - something will turn up eventually.
toasterking

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

7jlong wrote:
I found the Stereo Alignment Disc by searching under "video disck" and paid a very low price for it - I suspect no one found it because of the misspelling. I have also often spotted Selectavision players and discs mis-posted (in eBay and Craigslist) as Laserdisc items

I'm very impressed at how you found these -- I never actually thought to guess at how items would be improperly listed and search for them that way. Apparently it worked well for you -- perhaps I should rethink how I'm searching for these items.
7jlong

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, again, persistence is the key. I have a personal grumble with eBay, so I haven't haunted their site in a few years, but I just took a quick peek at "video disk" to see what turned up. Spotted a few LaserDiscs and things like that, but the search also revealed the old Canon Video Floppies - remember those? Fascinatingly, the poster misspelled Canon as 'Cannon'. Hmm.

Yep, I think a lazy afternoon and deliberate-misspelling searches might yield a few treasures.
Caroline

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 10:57 am    Post subject: patience Reply with quote

Prices vary wildly on CED Players. If you have patience, you can make a good deal. If you want a player FAST, then you can shelve out quite a few
of $$$. But you can find quite a lot of still shrinkwrapped CEDs at very low
prices. I bought quite a lot of CEDs shrinkwrapped for only $ 1 a piece.
Postage to the Netherlands is very high, thats the negative point. But
its still cheap, if I compare this to Laserdiscs.
Ironicially, I found the rarest and best priced CEDs under "Laserdiscs".
Some people dont know, what a CED is.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: