CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion
Forum topics can be anything related to SelectaVision CED's, and could include offers to buy/sell/trade, repair advice, historical anecdotes, caches of CED's you've discovered, etc.

Click on the Register link to join.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Era: 1985 ; Topic: Command Center Televisions

Post new topic   Reply to topic    CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
litew8

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 4:20 am    Post subject: The Era: 1985 ; Topic: Command Center Televisions Reply with quote

Hi everyone. New here to the site. Found by searching for information in regards to a televison set I've had for quite some time. Can't seem to find any specific info via internet searches. Wondering if maybe CED enthusiasts could provide some insight. Here's the short story:

Purchased an RCA console television set from a friend's father many years ago. The televison set still works great. The picture quality is awsome. Digital picture (via cable/satallite) is even better! The set has a known issue, universal for that time-frame from what I've read about RCA consolse. The set likes to periodically turn itself off and on again. The only other issue I've had, two channels (UHF) flicker constantly.

I noticed shortly after purchasing the set, the inputs on the backside. After doing a little reasearch, it was realized that this television set seemed to have been designed to accomidate the RCA Command Center components of that era. Of which I've never seen (anywhere) personally.

Although the above is quite interesting in its own right, it's not really the intrest that brought me here (though it is quite facinating). I browsed this site and noticed that there were certain television sets made to accomidate the Command Center componets, but the televison sets shown weren't like the one I have.

When I purchased the televison set, the owner said that it was a 'special' model. In that - RCA made this console televison as a Bicentennial special. The console is molded beautifully. Many curves, and on each side (top, above speaker areas), imitation doors (with imitation hinges) that have a small flower molded at top.

Just curious if anyone has ever seen this so-called 'special' televison set, if it's of any value, or where I might be able to find more information. The television set (in my opinon) is withstanding the times quite nicely. The appearance is remarkably pleasant. Although it is a 'console', it's very nice on the eyes, and the picture quality would give any new television set a run for its money! Remarkable! I'm curious to see what the picture quality would be like when the converters are made available once signal broadcast switch to HD.

Here's what I think I know:

1) RCA console television (Bicentennial special?)
2) Manufactured: December 1985
3) Model # - GLR2760T
4) ColorTrak 2000
5) It's (the first I think!) RCA's 'near flat' screen.
6) It's Digital (?)
7) 27" diagonal
Cool CRK42A - Digital Command Center Remote
(where DISC button should be, it says AUX)

- - - - - -
Any other information (general or otherwise) would be greatly appreciated!
cedmagic
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 3:31 pm    Post subject: RE: RCA GLR2760T Television Reply with quote

I believe your TV was called the Bicentennial special because it retained the cabinet styling originating in 1976, but with circuitry updated to 1985 standards. A lot of companies took advantage of the year 1976 by introducing Bicentennial-themed products. RCA also introduced the TK-76 video professional video camera in 1976, which was numbered for the year of introduction.

As to the value of the TV, it probably has limited value due to the high cost of shipping to an interested party. This seems to be true for the front-projection TVs like the PFR100, as the ones I've seen on eBay sell for far less than the cost to ship them.

--Tom Howe
litew8

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the reply Tom.
You suspect that it might be considered Bicentennial special because of the size? The look of the cabinet isn't from the 70's - but I guess I can see the resemblence in retrospect. And it is large.

When I get my camera, I'll take a picture and post it here.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: