CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion
Forum topics can be anything related to SelectaVision CED's, and could include offers to buy/sell/trade, repair advice, historical anecdotes, caches of CED's you've discovered, etc.

Click on the Register link to join.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CED CENTRAL store/operation facility in Los Angeles area?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rixrex

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 10:50 am    Post subject: CED CENTRAL store/operation facility in Los Angeles area? Reply with quote

I seem to recall that some CED enthusiasts were planning to open a CED operation in the Los Angeles area, where they would have players, parts and supplies, and maybe even repairs available. Seems they purchased somebody's CED business, and this all was pending acquisition of a space or warehouse. Does anyone know about this? Did it actually happen?

EDIT: Apparently CED Central was that facility, see next post.

Last edited by Rixrex on Thu Aug 02, 2007 10:48 am; edited 1 time in total
Rixrex

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 10:41 am    Post subject: Where is CED Central? Reply with quote

The Los Angeles area facility I was asking about is apparently CED central.

Their webpage is still up, but I sent an email and got no reply.

Anybody from Ced Central around reading this? Anybody know what happened to them?
retrodude

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would be good to have a list of individuals / companies currently known to be in business in regards to CED. Maybe the link page can have a feature where members can comment on a business transaction and the system would append the date so we know the business was operating as of a certain date, and if the email or URL is updated, you can put that in the comment.
CEDatum

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 4:37 am    Post subject: CED Central and active CED support contacts. Reply with quote

I checked the CED Central website after reading Retrodude's post. Some of the links in the site are still active.

Darrell at dj3928@aol.com is doing repairs and player reconditioning.

The link to CEDMagic works.

The link does not work to CEDatum for service parts, info and the stylus rebuilding service. The CEDatum web address has been changed to: www.cedatum.net

John at CEDatum.
Rixrex

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some of the CED Central links work, but nobody replied to the email I send to their email listed on the website.

Who is Darrell? Is he in the Los Angeles area?

Thanks!
dj3928

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CEDcentral is no longer running. James Curiel sold the site and the new owner(s) apparently has abandoned it.

The dj3928@aol.com link is me, my name is Darrell Johnson of Cecilia, KY. I have been doing Reconditioning of CED Players for several years. James contacted me when he was running the site to do Player Reconditioning jobs, (sort of a East coast contact for CEDCentral). My background is in Electronics repair having owned a TV/Video Sales and Service business since 1967 and have been an RCA Dealer since 1976. Our store sold the original SFT100 Players when they were introduced by RCA in 1981 and the last models mfg in 1984.

I initially was doing Reconditioning on the F/G Models but eventually starting doing all models. I have Reconditioned over 100 players , its a hobby that I truly enjoy.

When James sold CEDcentral I tried but have never been able to contact the new owner(s), I tried as late as 2 weeks ago. No reply so I have to assume they have abandoned the site.

For anyone who wants to contact me about Reconditioned players for sale or Reconditioning your nonworking player my email is dj3928@aol.com . I also have an ad on cedmagic in the Classified section.

Everyone ENJOY THE HOBBY !

Darrell "CEDPRO"

Very Happy
Very Happy
Rixrex

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info, Darrell.

The reason I was looking for a CED location in the LA area is because I purchased an abandoned climate-controlled storage unit full of CED players and videodiscs. There are dozens of players and something like a thousand discs.

Rather than sort through and catalogue it all, I thought perhaps a CED service in LA area would be interested in the lot. I only wanted to keep a couple of players and a few discs I didn't have.

Well, looks like I have no choice, so I'll do the catalogue and put it up here eventually. Will take time though.
Jesse Skeen

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like you got CED Central's inventory! I got to see it a few times when it was in Sacramento, truly a sight to behold. If I'd had the money and space I would have bought it, but I barely have room for the stuff I have now. I'm making a list of the CEDs I have that are in less-than-good condition and hoping to replace with ones in better condition.
Rixrex

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jesse Skeen wrote:
Sounds like you got CED Central's inventory! I got to see it a few times when it was in Sacramento, truly a sight to behold. If I'd had the money and space I would have bought it, but I barely have room for the stuff I have now. I'm making a list of the CEDs I have that are in less-than-good condition and hoping to replace with ones in better condition.

Actually, it wasn't quite as abandoned as I made it seem. To clarify, it was a former electronics repair and second-hand units sales shop where the owner/operator passed away and the family put everything into storage that was in the inventory. The fellow was a veteran repair tech who was one of the last ones here in this area who could repair Betamax, Laserdisc, and CED eqipment, and he also sold refurbished units, and discs and tapes.

Anyway, they started to get behind in storage rent and decided to sell all of it rather than piece by piece. I also got several Betamax VCRs, a slew of VHS machines, a bunch of LD players & discs, and the CED stuff too. Looks like many are in good shape and some are just parts machines, so it will take a while to sort through all of it. Got a few new stili and belts. Some of the discs are still sealed, some are like new, some are former rentals, etc. Also many Beta and VHS tapes, both used and still sealed.

Also a few pieces of audio stuff. It's an obsolete format museum, but there were a few older DVD players, like the older well built Sony, Pioneer and Philips models. So it's quite a project.
jimj_wpg

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is the update on this?
CEDatum

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 10:39 am    Post subject: CED player parts and stylus rebuilding service. Reply with quote

CEDatum - website: www.CEDatum.net

We have a large stock of parts the RCA CED player models and CED players made by RCA - Zenith VP2000 for example. We carry all the IC's and microcomputers for these players and Technical Data.

CEDatum also has a stylus rebuilding service for RCA and Hitachi stylus cartridges.

We can support your CED player for many years.

Rixrex

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The update is that the planned facility apparently never came through. It was supposed to house the operations of the new owners of CED Central, and the last word was a couple years ago that the warehouse they'd gotten wasn't ready or the deal for it fell through, and they had to locate another place. And then that was it.

Apparently, I am the "lucky" owner of the biggest lot of CED stuff in the Los Angeles area, actually midway between LA and San Diego. It might not be the biggest, but it's the biggest I'm aware of. I got the stuff from a rather large storage facility mostly by verbal description, then it took a big, big Uhaul to move it all out to my place. There's dozens and dozens of players all from poor to very good shape, not all have been tested as yet. There's something like 2.000 CEDs, from used to still sealed. There was several new stili.

I've been meaning to get an inventory together to put up here, but have been sidetracked by other things. You see, this storage was not only CEDs but also full of VCRs and Laserdisc players, and all sorts of LDs and tapes, and including Beta players and tapes, and then to a lesser extent audio equipment and other appliances. A lot to deal with. But let me know if you're looking for something specific.
jimj_wpg

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had bought a copy of the Tom Sawyer musical CED at a ValueVillage here.

The disc skips and loses sync in a lot of places.

Upon opening the caddy I noticed that part of the disc was scuffed... So that means that some previous owner had stored it under some other heavy objects.

So I'm looking if you have a copy.

Also when I got my player, 13 discs came with it, some incomplete sets...

I have Disc 1 of Superman II. Missing Disc 2.

I also have Disc 1, 2, and of Jesus of Nazareth, but am missing Disc 4.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: