CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion
Forum topics can be anything related to SelectaVision CED's, and could include offers to buy/sell/trade, repair advice, historical anecdotes, caches of CED's you've discovered, etc.

Click on the Register link to join.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

No More Analog-only TVs

Post new topic   Reply to topic    CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cedmagic
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 11:15 pm    Post subject: No More Analog-only TVs Reply with quote

This wasn't much of a news story, but as of March 1 no more television sets with just an analog tuner are being imported to the USA. They all must now have a digital tuner in addition to the analog tuner (or no tuner at all). And on February 17, 2009 there may be no more analog broadcasts period. It will be weird turning on analog-only TVs at that time and be unable to receive anything. Of course you'll still be able to play your CED's on them.

The digital transition will have some ramifications for CED players with RF (Channel 3/4) outputs only, as some of the new tunerless TVs have no RF connection. They all still have composite inputs, and those shouldn't be going away any time soon. But RF-only CED players will need the composite mod or an external Channel 3 to composite demodulator box to work with the digital-only or tunerless TVs. The demodulator option does not produce as good a picture as pulling composite video directly out of the CED player.

--Tom Howe
brother

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 6:18 am    Post subject: Going Digital Reply with quote

The Uk is due to be totally digital by 2012 -being achieved in phases (Worcester scheduled 2010)

No sign of loosing the RF in the uk as we have FREEVIEW - digital TV via Aerial and local transmitters (In addition to satellite/cable tv) I suppose States dont have a freeview option?

One option if the tv looses RF -is to keep the old VCR powered up and use the RF input on that for the CED player . The analogue VCR can then be connected to the new TV (Without RF) - either by composite (States standard) or Scart socket (European Standard), you can then view any RF channel (Once video tuned in) via Av on the TV.

Regards
steve spill
Worcester UK
Jesse Skeen

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"It will be weird turning on analog-only TVs at that time and be unable to receive anything."

With TV the way it is right now, that will probably be an improvement!
RT9342

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"With TV the way it is right now, that will probably be an improvement!"

You're probably right - I got to the point now that my TV is ONLY used for watching videos (CED, LaserDisc, or DVD) and playing games.

But fortunately, it's VERY easy to mod the RF-only players - the easiest way, if you don't want to drill holes or anything, is get an AV cable, cut off the ends on one side, and feed it through the opening where the cord fits through. There's enough room for it to fit down to the bottom board. I don't remember the exact test points, but there's 2 test points that can be directly connected to for audio/video out. The video may look a little bright, but you can use a resistor (120 ohms more or less) to darken it a little. And if you want to be on the safe side (just to prevent possible ESD damage), you can use a capacitor on the audio test point (1-10 microfarads should be sufficient).
Jesse Skeen

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, but what good is a mono CED player anyways? They're best used only as parts to keep the stereo players alive!
RT9342

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

But how many of your discs are actually stereo? Seems like the majority of the discs I've ever seen are mono, so a stereo player would play them in mono. But I'll admit, the stereo discs are nicer in stereo. But some of the old mono players look better than the stereo models. I ended up buying a stereo board from CEDatum - I don't know how many they still have, but with that board, you can convert a mono player to stereo, though you will have to change out several components on the signal board in the player. I was going to do this, and still plan to someday, but right now, I have Electrical Engineering classes to finish, a guitar amp to rebuild, plus I'm coming up with the design for another custom guitar (I have a Strat with a Tele mode - now I want a Tele with a Strat mode), so I just plain don't have the time to do the stereo conversion (and I really don't have too many good movies on CED right now anyway), so it may be a while before I do the conversion, but when I get it done, I'll certainly share how to do it with anyone interested.
Cubey

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A cheap and easy solution to this is find an old VCR of any kind, even if it won't play tapes. They have A/V output along with RF input. You can usually always use RF input, use the VCR's tuner, and use the VCR's A/V output to send the VCR's tuner signal as A/V output. If you don't have a VCR, Just find a free, dead one and you have yourself a tuner for any A/V TV or monitor.
cbertra2

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Converting an RF signal back to composite defeats the purpose for having a composite video output. You might as well just use the RF right out of the player. The video is so much better thru the composite output, The color is better and has less picture noise or grain.
Cubey

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cbertra2 wrote:
Converting an RF signal back to composite defeats the purpose for having a composite video output. You might as well just use the RF right out of the player. The video is so much better thru the composite output, The color is better and has less picture noise or grain.

In general practice yes. But the direction of the thread was going in the way of some future TVs no longer having RF input at all or analog tuners. In such cases you could use a VCR to get RF & analog for such TVs.
Red October

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The major ramifications of this that I first noticed were of things like portable TV sets. Those without antenna or A/V input will become entirely useless when this happens. Granted those are few and far between in my experience (even older sets tend to have 1/8" jacks for antenna input, the adapters for these show up now and again and tend to make you go "???" if you've never seen what they're for before as the 1/8" jack is usually for audio signals), but while you may be able to use them with external devices, it pretty much destroys the purpose of having a portable television set in the first place if you need some sort of external device to use it.

As to "Tunerless TVs", wouldn't these, by definition, be Monitors, and not TVs, and wouldn't they, as monitors, not need to have such things as V-chips or Closed Captioning? (I've got nice Sony monitors here [the "Sony Design" line -built like a tank!] that don't even have speakers!) I've also seen some televisions (usually older and very low-end models) that have nothing but internal antennae. All these will become useless as well.
RT9342

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still wonder if their plan to completely eliminate the analog TV broadcasts will work or fail. Think of how many poor people there are that can't afford HDTV or an adaptor. And many of them watch a LOT of TV. I'm thinking it could result in some major riots that may result in the FCC backing off on the deal. Kind of like when the government tried to go to metric, only this could be much worse - we're talking about TV - what most Americans spend most of their free time watching. Besides, I noticed a problem with the HDTV broadcasts. Many people that I know still use rabbit ears or an outdoor antenna. Some analog stations come in with static, but they're still viewable. But less than perfect digital broadcasts don't come in a little fuzzy - they just plain cut in and out, like digital satelite TV when a severe thunderstorm comes through. That would really make a lot of people mad. My mom bought an HDTV, but still has to view most local channels on satelite or analog broadcast for that very reason - the analog broadcasts are not that fuzzy, but the digital broadcasts are off-on-off-on-off-on......
And mono CED players won't be the only thing that won't work on the next generation TVs. Anyone still play their old Atari? Of course, like a CED player, if you don't mind modifying your machine, you can get audio/video from it (what's really nice about the Atari is that it the audio/video chip actually generates stereo audio, except in PAL systems, and generates S-video, something you can't easily get from mono CED players).
Spirantho

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On a slight tangent...

I keep on finding the same people in many of my interests and hobbies. I bring this up because most people would never know that only NTSC Ataris have stereo audio and that PAL ones are mono, so I suspect at least one person here knows his way round a TIA....!

I wonder if there's anyone else on this board who's also a member of other forums I'm on like atariage.com (the best Atari forums, I think) or recordcollectorsguild.org (a pretty good vinyl collecting site, which I'm also into). No-one here drives a Volkswagen Scirocco like me do they? Smile

Given the analogue nature of the CED and vinyl, though, I'd bet most people on this site have a fair LP collection too!

Do other people get this effect, where people who like one thing tend to like the same other apparently-unrelated things?

Tangent over. Smile
RT9342

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, I for one am still into Atari (though I rarely have time to play video games anymore) and vinyl (though I prefer new vinyl - you get 24-bit mastered recordings that aren't downconverted to 16-bit, and new bands too - I have an album of my little brother's previous band). I, too, wonder how many other CED collectors are into that stuff too. I know some CED collectors seem to be into 8-tracks. I tried getting into those, but I can see why they weren't successful. I guess many of us who are into CEDs also enjoy other stuff from the same time period. But I'm sure this doesn't apply to everyone. I wonder how many of you prefer laserdisc over CED like me. I just wish that the DiscoVision website had a forum. Blaine's a really nice guy, but it seems that he doesn't have enough time to finish or add on to his website.
rsrendfeld

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 7:03 pm    Post subject: Dimensia TV Reply with quote

A few weeks ago I found a Dimensia TV (Model #FPR2722N built May 1987) at the Salvation Army Store on North Michigan Road here in Indianapolis. It looked good, had a good picture, good color, good sound and everything seemed to work right.
A week later it was still there and the price was reduced.
A week after that the price was down to "to good to pass up" so I brought it home, plugged it in and waited for it to blow up , melt down or do something else to prove that I'd wasted the money.
Since none of the above happened I figured it would be safe to hook up the rest of the system - so fare so good. The only odd thing about it is a weird BLUE GLOW on the screen right after it is turned off.....
The 20 year old TV has a better picture than the two year old one in our living room - must be the difference between "Made in Bloomington Indiana USA" and Made in Someplaceyoucan'tpronounce PRofC" - and it seems to have better reception too - for the first time ever I can watch the low power Spanish Language channel (I still can't understand a single word they say but the reception is impressive...)
Now that it is hooked up with the rest of the 1987 DIMENSIA System -MPA120 Amp, MPT200 Control Center / Tuner, MCD245 CD Player,
VPT630HF VCR, MGE260 Graphic Equalizer, MTR225 Audio Cassette Deck and the MTT230 Turntable - I am having a lot of fun pushing the buttons on the CRK35A Remote Control just to see what happens.
Jesse Skeen

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The blue glow when it's turned off is normal; we had an RCA Colortrack 2000 in 1985 that did that. After it was about 10 years old it started going a little nuts though, the channel display would repeat the number all the way across the screen and the picture would randomly cut out.
rogblake

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="RT9342"]
I know some CED collectors seem to be into 8-tracks. I tried getting into those, but I can see why they weren't successful.[/quote]

I have a large 8-track collection and use them in the car on a daily basis. I also have 8-track recorders so I can pretty much record anything I want onto either erased cartridges or my stash of blanks.

Although the format certainly has its limitations, I don't think it is correct to say that it wasn't successful. 8-Track tape was introduced in the mid-1960s and became extremely popular within a few years. Practically everything released on audio through the 1970s was released in 8-track format. By the early 1980s, the sound quality of cassettes had improved and of course the tapes were smaller and more convenient, so 8-track was waning. Record/tape clubs and late-night TV ads kept 8-tracks going until around 1989. Radio Shack continued selling 8-track players and blank tape cartridges through the mid-1990s.

More than you ever wanted to know about 8-track tape can be found at:

http://www.8trackheaven.com

By the way, I don't have and will not buy an HDTV set. Will just buy used TVs or repair what I've got. (I'm still regularly using an RCA black & white console that was manufactured in 1965.) As far as TV reception when analog goes off the air -- I'm willing to live without it (I have a good collection of material on Beta, VHS, and Laserdisc, as well as CED), but may have to spring for the Cable TV "antenna service" to keep the wife happy.
Red October

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The big problem with 8-tracks that people remember is poor registration creating mushy sound and two tracks playing at once. This is just because soooo many 8-track players are just rubbish. A good one will sound as good as any other tape device; the tracks are as wide as cassette and the tape speed is good; just most players are not, and after 15-40 years, they haven't held up well. Some later units had dolby; these sound just as good as cassette with dobly. They served their purpose well though, that was cheap, easy car audio.

I'm still using a Colortrac 2000 as my primary set, it's great and still has a strong picture after many years of service. Only problem is it needs re-converging as the picture is very overscanned. It's huge though so I'd likely have to have the tech out here to do it or try myself.
Marc

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

here in Sweden we're already shut down analog http://www.tvinformation.se/tidsplan.asp broadcast by the end of this year.

It's been a lot of questions to the stores, but it starts to sort out for everyone now.[/url]
7jlong

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I must address one thing about this "merits of 8-Track" thread:

Songs fading out and then fading back in once the program changed is an absolutely ridiculous and horrid way to treat music. The bad old days of having to split up longer recordings (symphonies, opera, etc.) over LPs and tapes is one thing, but when it would interrupt a four-minute song? Stupefying.

It is for this reason alone that I, for one, could never even conceive of taking the format seriously.
Gunstar

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RT9342 wrote:
Yep, I for one am still into Atari (though I rarely have time to play video games anymore) and vinyl (though I prefer new vinyl - you get 24-bit mastered recordings that aren't downconverted to 16-bit, and new bands too - I have an album of my little brother's previous band). I, too, wonder how many other CED collectors are into that stuff too. I know some CED collectors seem to be into 8-tracks. I tried getting into those, but I can see why they weren't successful. I guess many of us who are into CEDs also enjoy other stuff from the same time period. But I'm sure this doesn't apply to everyone. I wonder how many of you prefer laserdisc over CED like me. I just wish that the DiscoVision website had a forum. Blaine's a really nice guy, but it seems that he doesn't have enough time to finish or add on to his website.

I'm still into Atari, consoles and computers, as well as vinyl, 8-track, cassette, etc. I'm a long standing member of AtariAge. I for one really like 8-tracks, oh, and by the way, they WERE successful, they lasted through two decades (60's&70's). But with a good stereo system, they sound great, a LOT better than cassette, though of course vinyl still sounds the best compared to anything up to 16-bit CD's (with the exception of reel-to-reel). Though I was unaware that new vinyl (which I don't own, but plan to look into now) was recorded from/at 24-bit!
I was just listening to Frank Sinatra on 8-track the other day, through my classic JVC audio rack system which instead of going out to old speakers, I feed into my surround sound amplifier&speakers, 8-track Sinatra never sounded so good coming out a 5.1 surround system!
Of course I prefer LD over CED, but CED has a warm spot in my heart just due to the unique technology. Now if I can just get my CED player working again!
It's a shame you can't attach pictures on this forum, I'd like to show you my set-up and see others...
Gunstar

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Red October wrote:
The big problem with 8-tracks that people remember is poor registration creating mushy sound and two tracks playing at once. This is just because soooo many 8-track players are just rubbish. A good one will sound as good as any other tape device; the tracks are as wide as cassette and the tape speed is good; just most players are not, and after 15-40 years, they haven't held up well. Some later units had dolby; these sound just as good as cassette with dobly. They served their purpose well though, that was cheap, easy car audio.

Hmm...I never noticed the problems with 8-track that you speak of, and to me, they sound better than cassette, but "as good as any other tape device" is stretching it since reel-to-reel is far superior to any other tape device (excluding DAT tape of course, only becuase I'm not to knowlegable about it, maybe it's better, maybe not, but since it's digital I've never been interested, CD&DVD is the only way I go with digital). But I guess I'm lucky with a very good 8-track player. I picked it up years ago at a thrift shop, it didn't seem to work at the time, but it was easy enough to figure out that the axel needed grease, and it has played like a charm ever since, it's a vintage MASTERWORK solid state 8-track player, complete with a wood case! Again, I sure wish we could post pictures here...

by the way, what's this deal about not being allowed to make another post "so soon after your last, please try later"? All I wanted to do was edit, and I've had to copy the whole post, and wait until I could submit it!
Gunstar

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

7jlong wrote:
I must address one thing about this "merits of 8-Track" thread:

Songs fading out and then fading back in once the program changed is an absolutely ridiculous and horrid way to treat music. The bad old days of having to split up longer recordings (symphonies, opera, etc.) over LPs and tapes is one thing, but when it would interrupt a four-minute song? Stupefying.

It is for this reason alone that I, for one, could never even conceive of taking the format seriously.

I do have to conceed to you on this point, I am frustrated sometimes at songs being interupted as you state, but it's not bad enough for me not to like the format, it doesn't always happen. But for me, I generally like all media formats to one extent or another, my main reason is I like the ability to be able to pick up movies or music on any format, knowing I have the equipment to play it. If I see something I like, it doesn't matter if it's LP, 8-track, cassette, CD(and varients), DVD(and varients), CED, VHS, Beta, Laserdisc or cartridge, I can use it all! I like choice and versatility, which is one reason I dread this near future of digital-only everything!
MdntTrain

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jesse Skeen wrote:
Yeah, but what good is a mono CED player anyways? They're best used only as parts to keep the stereo players alive!

Hey, don't knock mono. I have a mono HiFi system here that sounds better than many stereo systems.

Of course, one speaker on either side of the TV and a center channel on top is nice too... but I run them all mono. Less disorienting at night when I'm tired and watching.

~ J
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: