CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion
Forum topics can be anything related to SelectaVision CED's, and could include offers to buy/sell/trade, repair advice, historical anecdotes, caches of CED's you've discovered, etc.

Click on the Register link to join.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Lost my mind for Dimensia

Post new topic   Reply to topic    CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sshuntr

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 8:40 am    Post subject: Lost my mind for Dimensia Reply with quote

Hi all,

I purchased an RCA TV and stereo system at a garage sale for about
$60 late in the summer last year and brought it home to discover a whole new world of TV. Of course the first thing I did after getting it plugged in was google RCA Dimensia to find out what I had. WHAT FUN! Thank you Tom for keeping such a comprehensive archive of information avalible for all to use. I have since added a turn table for my 3K record collection and I'm waiting for my most resent ebay purchase: CD, and tape deck. I now have the complete RCA Dimensia system as it was released in 1984... except for the CED. NEXT! My wife and (I) would be thrilled to have someone else to talk to about my latest obsession. What system should it be? I see aguy that posted a SKT-400 promo unit...hmm. should I turn my back on the Crown Vic? Look forward to hearing for you soon.
rsrendfeld

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 8:41 pm    Post subject: Dimensia System Reply with quote

After getting caught up in CED collecting I too became interested in the RCA Dimensia System.
I have a complete 1984 system - TV / Monitor, VCR (Thanks again!Steve) MSA100 Amplifier, Tuner, CD, Audio Cassette Recorder, SPK375 Speakers and a MTT135 Front loading Turntable. (I have a MGE160 Graphic Equalizer but can't use it until I find a working MSA200 Amplifier or get the one I bought, on ebay, fixed.)

I have SJT400 / SKT400 Video Disc Players but I have been unable to get one of them to work with the Dimensia System. I do not know enough about electronics to figure out what ever it is that is wrong with the TV or Disc Player(s) that prevents them from interacting.
I have purchased some books about electronics (Starting Electronics by Keith Brindley and Teach Yourself Electricity and Electronics by Stan Gibiliscoand) I am - slowly and painfully - working my way through them. My first goal is to repair a MSA200 amplifier that was abused by a previous owner and several employees of a package delivery company. It is not pretty...
After I repair the Amp I'll open up the TV.

Also a friend gave me most of the components for the 1987 Dimensia System - MPT200 Audio Video Control Center, MPA120 Amplifier, MTT230 Turntable and a MSP400 Surround Sound Processor and Speakers. I bought a VPT630HF VCR, Dual Cassette Deck and Graphic Equilizer on Ebay and found a pair of matching black finish floor speakers at a local thrift shop. I'd like to find a matching Black finish TV / Monitor and the matching componet shelves / cabinets.

Tom has created a wonderful site. CEDMagic contains so much that I always find something new. Thanks to Tom I have a renewed interest in LP Record collecting and two new hobbies - CED Disc & Player collecting and Stereo equipment / electronics.

Ron
ButchN

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi guys, I found this site while looking for Dimensia references.

I also looked around here for what CED means & couldn't find it.

That said, I had worked for RCA in the mid 80's & bought all the Dimensia components I could when they came out.

They sold like hot cakes so fast that I ended up having to "settle" for a 2nd generation turntable & dual cassette deck as everything sold out very quickly.

I didn't like the Dimensia VCR so I bought the best ($1200 at the time, my cost was $800) IIRC VTP 760 VCR.

My TV finally bit the dust few years ago & it had got to the point that it could not be repaired anymore, that & parts were also no longer available.

In a few days I am putting the rest of my Dimensia parts on ebay as i no longer use, need, or have storage for them, which is why I was doing a net search in the 1st place.

If anyone knows of someone who wants this stuff, let me know.
Of the 1st gen. vintage I still have the:
MSA 200 amp, goes into protect when the volume hits 6 bars.
MAT 110 AM/FM tuner
MCD 140 CD player
SPK 032 IIRC 3-way floor speakers & of the 2nd gen. Dimensia I have the:
MTR 225 Dual dubbing cassette deck & finally,
MTT 230 Linear Tracking turntable.

Rob, the foam surrounds were known for all speakers to rot. It;'s worth replacing them as newer surrounds are butile rubber.

I have that issue with one of my floor speakers as well.
Reinhart

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CED stands for Capacitance Electronic Disc.

What the acronym stands for is in the CEDMagic FAQ. - Reinhart

ButchN wrote:
Hi guys, I found this site while looking for Dimensia references.

I also looked around here for what CED means & couldn't find it.

That said, I had worked for RCA in the mid 80's & bought all the Dimensia components I could when they came out.

They sold like hot cakes so fast that I ended up having to "settle" for a 2nd generation turntable & dual cassette deck as everything sold out very quickly.

I didn't like the Dimensia VCR so I bought the best ($1200 at the time, my cost was $800) IIRC VTP 760 VCR.

My TV finally bit the dust few years ago & it had got to the point that it could not be repaired anymore, that & parts were also no longer available.

In a few days I am putting the rest of my Dimensia parts on ebay as i no longer use, need, or have storage for them, which is why I was doing a net search in the 1st place.

If anyone knows of someone who wants this stuff, let me know.
Of the 1st gen. vintage I still have the:
MSA 200 amp, goes into protect when the volume hits 6 bars.
MAT 110 AM/FM tuner
MCD 140 CD player
SPK 032 IIRC 3-way floor speakers & of the 2nd gen. Dimensia I have the:
MTR 225 Dual dubbing cassette deck & finally,
MTT 230 Linear Tracking turntable.

Rob, the foam surrounds were known for all speakers to rot. It;'s worth replacing them as newer surrounds are butile rubber.

I have that issue with one of my floor speakers as well.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: