CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion
Forum topics can be anything related to SelectaVision CED's, and could include offers to buy/sell/trade, repair advice, historical anecdotes, caches of CED's you've discovered, etc.

Click on the Register link to join.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

cleaning cartridges

Post new topic   Reply to topic    CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jsdspif

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2022 7:06 am    Post subject: cleaning cartridges Reply with quote

does anyone know what the process was to clean a stylus/cartridge? I have some I need to get out of players and test in working players and just curious if cleaning is something anyone could do or did it also take some type of special equipment? I had one that had some really weird black goopy stuff ( for lack of better term) on the stylus,so much you couldn't really see the diamond and when I got it back it was totally clean and John said it just needed cleaning. I originally was touching the stuff with a sewing needle just to see if I could pick any of the stuff off to just see if it even still had the diamond on it but it was just dried on stuck on goop. Somehow John cleaned it and there wasn't a charge on that one.
lynx

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2023 8:55 am    Post subject: Re: cleaning cartridges Reply with quote

jsdspif wrote:
does anyone know what the process was to clean a stylus/cartridge? I have some I need to get out of players and test in working players and just curious if cleaning is something anyone could do or did it also take some type of special equipment? I had one that had some really weird black goopy stuff ( for lack of better term) on the stylus,so much you couldn't really see the diamond and when I got it back it was totally clean and John said it just needed cleaning. I originally was touching the stuff with a sewing needle just to see if I could pick any of the stuff off to just see if it even still had the diamond on it but it was just dried on stuck on goop. Somehow John cleaned it and there wasn't a charge on that one.

First of all, apologies for such a late reply.

Now, to answer your question, there is an instructional video posted on You Tube showing the steps for cleaning a CED stylus cartridge by using a microscope and a paintbrush with its bristles dipped in alcohol. Here is the link to it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4qVAPTHiWXg

I found this video a few days ago when I was researching how to clean my RCA 149000 cartridge in my SFT 100 W CED player. I tried cleaning my needle by following these directions, but I'm not having much luck with it, so maybe it's reached the end of its life. Hopefully, it will work with your cartridges. Good luck.
jsdspif

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2023 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah that really bad one i had really had a strange buildup and it was really kind of hard.I tried alcohol and a brush.i was afraid of the stylus coming off the cantilever or whatever.I also used a sewing needle to try to pick /scrape the substance off of it but that didn't do much.the stuff wasn't rock hard but it wasn't just a "gooey" residue. I got even pretty rough with it and remember thinking I've probably messed it up worse and then sent it to John came back looking like new. I recently got an ultrasonic stylus cleaner for my record player.I had been using this gooey blob cleaner that you just lower the stylus onto and then lift it off and anything on the stylus sticks to the blob. But I then set up a little usb microscope thing ,it's just a small pen sized deal,and aimed it to where I could see my stylus and it had residue that looked like it was getting from the blob,so I set it on the ultrasonic cleaner and then checked it and it was clean. I wonder if that may not work good. Once I cleaned it I then am able to check the record player stylus after every play because I just left the microscope set up and now residue I can usually just blow it off with one of those squeeze bulb air blasters.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: