CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion
Forum topics can be anything related to SelectaVision CED's, and could include offers to buy/sell/trade, repair advice, historical anecdotes, caches of CED's you've discovered, etc.

Click on the Register link to join.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

My published CED research and a question re: getting a playe

Post new topic   Reply to topic    CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jjones7

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2023 8:47 am    Post subject: My published CED research and a question re: getting a playe Reply with quote

Hello all!

I am a former CED collector and a scholar who has written about the history of the CED. The article can be found here: https://muse.jhu.edu/pub/23/article/729335

The full citation is here:
Jones, Jimi and Landon Palmer.
"A Record for Your Television: The Capacitance Electronic Disc's History of Failure."
The Moving Image, vol. 18 no. 2, 2019, p. 103-131.
Project MUSE muse.jhu.edu/article/729335

I used to own a CED player but had to sell it when I moved about a decade ago. I would be interested in purchasing a functioning player as well as some discs so I can get back into the hobby! I am a big fan of the format.

I live in Champaign, Illinois and I'd love to find someone in Indiana or Illinois who is looking to sell a player. I realize this is become much more of a long-shot since machines are aging and it seems that fewer people want to part with theirs!

It is my intention to attend the 2023 CED workshop in Indianapolis, assuming there is one this year. If anyone here is planning to attend that workshop, and has a machine and/or discs they are looking to sell, please let me know. That would be a great place to pick up a player, especially if it needs some work, since I could probably fix it there!

I am also saddened to learn of the passing of John Stevens of CEDatum. I met him back in 2006, when he helped me repair my old player at his house. He was a very nice guy and I’m sorry to hear he’s no longer with us. My sympathies go out to any of his friends and colleagues here on this forum.

If you have any leads on players for purchase, please feel free to reply here or message me directly. Thank you for your help!

Jimi Jones
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: