CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion
Forum topics can be anything related to SelectaVision CED's, and could include offers to buy/sell/trade, repair advice, historical anecdotes, caches of CED's you've discovered, etc.

Click on the Register link to join.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

DO YOU HAVE ANY OTHER HOBBIES???

Post new topic   Reply to topic    CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Beetlescott

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 6:54 am    Post subject: DO YOU HAVE ANY OTHER HOBBIES??? Reply with quote

I know this hobby takes time, lots of fun time sorting, checking conditions, watching the discs, looking online constantly for "a walk through the universe" or some of the other "nearly impossible to get" discs. As much as I love this hobby, I have a couple more that I couldn't see myself being without. One is Star Trek. i'm completely NUTSO over all things Trek. I have several of the Movie posters in my mancave. Not to mention all the shows on DVD, BLU RAY, some on VHS & Laser disc. I have some model ships as well.
Another hobby is The Monkees. I love the Monkees! I still collect their vinyl. I love records! I suppose it is because it is a format that uses a stylus!!!!!! (maybe it is a stylus thing. )
Another passion I have is my guitars! I only got back into playing, after 40 years not touching one. I can't see myself without a guitar! I have a Yamaha 6 string, and a Martin X series 12 string. I practice about 3 hours a day, at least. My Grandfather died from Alzeihmers disease (can't spell it) My 81 year old Mother is in the nursing home, in the final stages of the cruel disease. I am only 57 (a very youthful 57 Smile ) but I have been tested for it. I don't have it!!! One of the great ways to fight it, is working your brain. I have sharpened my ability to memorize. Lots of people say they can't memorize, but all it takes is practice. I have a few entire chapters of the bible memorized. That said, i'm working on memorizing all the songs I practice, that is a good way to work the brain. Anyone else with other hobbies?
SKT-100
Dude111

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speaking of the monkees: I was @ a thrift store today and I picked up a monkees album and the record fell to the floor and chipped off pretty big! (The first and 2nd songs were ruined) -- I felt bad.... I didnt do it on purpose.....When i went to pay I told them and they said "dont worry about it.....There are so many records downstairs you probably did us a favour!" -- I still feel bad though!! (I was gonna pay for the loss they were gonna have)

My hobbies?

I collect VHS movies and Im quite picky about the movies I will get....

VHS is NOT DIGITAL CRAP so when i get my media i do not want the following

1) Digital mastering of the movie (Or any digital transfer as the quality is not as good)
2) Dolby Digital for the sound track (or DTS,SDDS,etc)

Straight composite analogue audio (Dolby stereo (Or mono)) and video is what I want when i get my movies...... I still have a few I want but it seems like its might be quite hard getting them.. (I thankfully recently got THE GOONIES and FLIGHT OF THE NAVIGATOR which were amazing feats seeing everywhere I looked i could only find "DIGITALLY PROCESSED" copies of the movies! (WHICH I DIDNT WANT (I would rather NOT HAVE IT then see it messed with like that and be bad quality)) -- I want my movies in EXACTLY THE SAME FORM I SAW THEM IN BACK WHEN THEY FIRST CAME OUT! (Beautiful Analog)

I dont like how MGM and other distributers started to use the digital master FOR VHS MOVIES!!!!!!! (transferring them digitally,etc) And then they started "DIGITALLY MASTERING" them....... I got the movie "TOY SOLDIERS" (1991) on VHS and it unfortunetly was "DIGITALLY MASTERED" -- What a piece of garbage!! -- IT LOOKED AND SOUNDED LIKE CRAP!!!!!!!!!

I kinda envy you guys with VIDEODISC's because I dont think they ever re-released a movie on CED once it was out the first time "Digitally mastered" or anything digital!! (transferred to the record digitally) Im waiting to find a VD player so i can start exploring!!

My other hobbies??

Not much.... I collect good records that I love from the early 80s and earlier...... (I ONLY GET FIRST PRESSINGS (I do not want digital crap on the record (I HEAR ENOUGH OF THAT ONLINE AND ON THE RADIO -- WHEN I GET RECORDS/CASSETTES I WANT BETTER ANALOG SOUND!!)))
kitchensynch

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome Dude111, do I know you from another forums site (like Tapeheads)?
Dude111

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hehehe indeed you do my friend!
Spiro

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Other hobbies?

-I have somewhat of an interest in 8 track players and reel-to-reel recorders.
-I have a smallish sized VHS and Beta collection.
-About 30 or so 16mm movie related content. I say "30 or so" because the dreaded vinegar syndrome has affected two of my reels. Fortunately they weren't stored in the same location as the rest.

But my main hobby/passion is retro/vintage video game collecting.
Everything from the old 70's pong systems right up to and including the Sega Dreamcast.

This pic here is of most of my Nintendo related collection.
The majority of the rest of the gaming related stuff is in a dedicated gaming room.
I had a helluva time convincing the missus that we needed such a room in the first place. Laughing

A recent acquisition has been that of a couple of Pioneer Laseractive units.
These Laserdisc players have the added bonus of being able to play (via add-on modules) a whole host of Sega and NEC related video game material.

Beetlescott

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dude111 wrote:
Speaking of the monkees: I was @ a thrift store today and I picked up a monkees album and the record fell to the floor and chipped off pretty big! (The first and 2nd songs were ruined) -- I felt bad.... I didnt do it on purpose.....When i went to pay I told them and they said "dont worry about it.....There are so many records downstairs you probably did us a favour!" -- I still feel bad though!! (I was gonna pay for the loss they were gonna have)

My hobbies?

I collect VHS movies and Im quite picky about the movies I will get....

VHS is NOT DIGITAL CRAP so when i get my media i do not want the following

1) Digital mastering of the movie (Or any digital transfer as the quality is not as good)
2) Dolby Digital for the sound track (or DTS,SDDS,etc)

Straight composite analogue audio (Dolby stereo (Or mono)) and video is what I want when i get my movies...... I still have a few I want but it seems like its might be quite hard getting them.. (I thankfully recently got THE GOONIES and FLIGHT OF THE NAVIGATOR which were amazing feats seeing everywhere I looked i could only find "DIGITALLY PROCESSED" copies of the movies! (WHICH I DIDNT WANT (I would rather NOT HAVE IT then see it messed with like that and be bad quality)) -- I want my movies in EXACTLY THE SAME FORM I SAW THEM IN BACK WHEN THEY FIRST CAME OUT! (Beautiful Analog)

I dont like how MGM and other distributers started to use the digital master FOR VHS MOVIES!!!!!!! (transferring them digitally,etc) And then they started "DIGITALLY MASTERING" them....... I got the movie "TOY SOLDIERS" (1991) on VHS and it unfortunetly was "DIGITALLY MASTERED" -- What a piece of garbage!! -- IT LOOKED AND SOUNDED LIKE CRAP!!!!!!!!!

I kinda envy you guys with VIDEODISC's because I dont think they ever re-released a movie on CED once it was out the first time "Digitally mastered" or anything digital!! (transferred to the record digitally) Im waiting to find a VD player so i can start exploring!!

My other hobbies??

Not much.... I collect good records that I love from the early 80s and earlier...... (I ONLY GET FIRST PRESSINGS (I do not want digital crap on the record (I HEAR ENOUGH OF THAT ONLINE AND ON THE RADIO -- WHEN I GET RECORDS/CASSETTES I WANT BETTER ANALOG SOUND!!)))

Hey Dude, which Monkees album was it? Maybe I have more than one of it. I'll send it to you if I do.
SKT-100
Beetlescott

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice!! We were in an antique mall last Friday, and someone had an Atari 2600 with 17 games for sale, man did that old console take me back!
SKT-100
Spiro

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beetlescott wrote:
Very nice!! We were in an antique mall last Friday, and someone had an Atari 2600 with 17 games for sale, man did that old console take me back!

Oh yes!
The 2600 (especially the original heavy sixer model) is still held in very high esteem by the retro gaming community.

Although it wasn't the first company to make video games, Atari was the first to make a lasting impression with it's 2600 on an entire generation.

BTW, interesting fact:
A scruffy, young Steve Jobs worked at Atari before he founded Apple.
He was just 19 when Atari hired him as a technician, making $5 an hour.
SelectaVision420

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spiro wrote:
Other hobbies?

holy cow... thats awesome!

i am a classically trained automotive and diesel mechanic by trade so when i not pulling my hair out looking for discs, i work on my cadillac. i've had this car for over 10 years now and i drive it all over new england and parts of new york to car shows. its not old and its not new, its 80's and its the perfect era for my 80's collection of ced's and nes games and records.

Ced Collector

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2022 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not a massive video game collector. I just wanted a good handful from my childhood. So I picked up and still might pick up a few more that I might have missed that bring back memories, but here's my Atari 2600 and Nintendo (NES) collections. Since I was only going for a small collection (there are hundreds of titles for both systems) I opted to go with quality, complete with manuals.

They wont both fit in my signature, but I was able to squeeze in the 2600 link to the top haha anyway here they both are.

Atari 2600 Game Collection:
https://ibb.co/album/0Dmskh?sort=name_asc

Nintendo (NES) Game Collection:
https://ibb.co/album/fDYM72?sort=name_asc
Dude111

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2022 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beetlescott wrote:
Hey Dude, which Monkees album was it? Maybe I have more than one of it. I'll send it to you if I do.

I dont recall now buddy.. I have 5 or 6 Monkee records,all in beautiful Mono Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: