CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion
Forum topics can be anything related to SelectaVision CED's, and could include offers to buy/sell/trade, repair advice, historical anecdotes, caches of CED's you've discovered, etc.

Click on the Register link to join.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What happened to cedatum.com?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lynx

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 6:04 am    Post subject: What happened to cedatum.com? Reply with quote

Does any one know what happened to cedatum.com? Last night, I tried the link to their web site on the related sites page at cedmagic.com, and the web site is now gone. Did they go out of business? I'm confused.

Last edited by lynx on Wed Jun 30, 2021 7:07 am; edited 1 time in total
cbertra2

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2021 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems that CEDatum.com is being used by another company. The website is not related to ced products at all.
jsdspif

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2021 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i just get a blank page except for at the very bottom if I scroll that states domain is pending renewal or has expired.
lynx

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2022 9:42 am    Post subject: Update? Reply with quote

It has now been over a year since the cedatum.com web site went offline, and the web site is now totally dead. There was a recent message on here asking about rebuilding needles, and unsuccessfully trying to contact some of its staff. Does any one know anything new about the service, or whatever happened to it?

I don't need anything from them, but I would still like to know whatever happened to their web site & their services, if any one knows. I still have their business card hanging on my refrigerator/freezer door with a magnet, which I got back in 2014 when I bought a 149000 cartridge from them. When I tried E mailing them two years ago, I never got a response.
SelectaVision420

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2022 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John Stevens sadly passed away about a year ago now. He was all of CEDatum. There is talks of finding a maker for stylus tips but its more complicated than it seems.

His equipment and stock was all dissolved between a few members here and should be available in the future.

Someone bought the rights to cedatum.com and will not relinquish them so there is talk of an alternative website with quick reference info.
ketonic_dude

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2022 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So the CEDatum.com website was hacked and went down. Before John was able to bring it back up he sadly, passed away. The domain registration expired and it was purchased by a fellow named Jeremy. Jeremy posted on the CED Magic facebook page that he had cedatum.com and it would be available if someone wanted to re-create the CEDatum website. I was finally able to get ahold of Jeremy and he said the domain was purchased through a site called Big Rock. So I went to Big Rock and created an account. Jeremy then transferred the CEDatum.com domain name to my account. I got emails confirming the transfer. I tried to log back into my Big Rock account and it would not let me in. It kept saying wrong username or password even though I knew for a fact that they were correct. I tried to call customer service but the company is based in India and customer service is only available in the middle of the night, like 2am to 9am here. I was finally able to get ahold of them and they managed to get me back into my account but the CEDatum.com domain was not in there. I could barely understand any of their broken English. He basically said "It must have got deleted you will have to re-purchase it." and said the sales team would call me. Well 3 days later I still have not received a call. If I search the CEDatum.com domain it says it is unavailable for purchase. So I am going to have to wait until 2 or 3am again on a weekday and call them back and try to see if someone can help me. If I can understand them. The whole ordeal is a nightmare. I might just have to wait another year for the registration to expire and just buy it using a different hosting company. The Big Rock site is a joke. So that's where we are at with that.

Styli rebuilds are a whole other nightmare. We can basically order all the parts to rebuild them but it would cost several hundred dollars each at the cheapest. I am also not sure how the process is done. I have tried to contact other members from the CEDatum team such as Daxi Don but they are not responding via the only contact information I have for them. I have also tried to contact former employees from the styli department at Rockville Road but run into the same problems. At this point I think it might almost be easier to try to develop a whole new stylus assembly. Just throw out the old styli design and R&D something completely new that still fits in the same spot and does the same function. It's like trying to land a rocket on the moon! lol
jsdspif

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2022 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

when I think of india i just think scam. My aunt used to get 2 or 3 calls a week (these are just the ones where she actually answered the phone) of people from india telling her her computer is compromised. I was there one day and she said one moment while I get my nephew to help me,so she came and got me and we went on to have a field day with the guy.
For the sylus rebuilding,that's why I wondered if a manufacturer of phonograph needles may be able to provide any help. I mean part of the thing,namely diamond stylus and the cantilever (i think it's cantilever,the "tube" the diamond is mounted to) are quite similar or same principal . I guess the secret is don't play a damaged disc and hopefully the cartridge will last longer?
lynx

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2022 9:04 am    Post subject: Peculiar new web site at the cedatum.com domain Reply with quote

I just checked the cedatum.com web site, and all it shows now is just a picture of a bird and a terse message about a first post to edit or delete. Does any one know what is going on with the site?
ketonic_dude

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2022 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, we were able to get the domain transferred to me and I set up a hosting site. I am still working on building the actual site so it just has some temporary splash screen thing up right now. Stay tuned for more updates. Thanks.
ketonic_dude

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2022 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well it's up and running. Feel free to check out the new [url]cedatum.com[/url] website and let me know what you think. What should I add/what am I missing. I also created a Facebook business page for it, simply click the link on the website or just type in [url]facebook.com/cedatum[/url] in your browser search bar. I hope this makes John happy! I sure do miss him.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: