CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion
Forum topics can be anything related to SelectaVision CED's, and could include offers to buy/sell/trade, repair advice, historical anecdotes, caches of CED's you've discovered, etc.

Click on the Register link to join.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Silicon Oil

Post new topic   Reply to topic    CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
owenatverrs

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 8:07 am    Post subject: Silicon Oil Reply with quote

So, is there any types of coatings I can use on my discs that will get rid of skips and what have you with out damaging them? People keep telling me to wash my discs with water, and I keep telling them that it damages the disc and the stylus! So what works well?
RT9342

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One time, several years ago, I tried cleaning one with baby oil. At first it wouldn't play at all - I was mad (though I didn't realize at that time that the discs were conductive and conductivity is critical for playback). But after wiping as much of the baby oil off as possible, it started playing again, though it lost signal here and there on the first play. But once I let the stylus ride the disc it played great ever since. But I don't know if that would cause long term damage (like if it weakens the factory silicone coating). I don't have that disc anymore (or any of my original discs), so I can't test it now to see if it's still okay.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: