CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion
Forum topics can be anything related to SelectaVision CED's, and could include offers to buy/sell/trade, repair advice, historical anecdotes, caches of CED's you've discovered, etc.

Click on the Register link to join.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Lubrication question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lynx

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 8:56 am    Post subject: Lubrication question Reply with quote

My RCA SFT 100 W player is having a problem which is confusing me; I've tried to search for information about it in the archives on here, but I can't find any old topics about it.

A few weeks ago, I installed a new FRX2.0 servo belt in my player, and it worked fine for a few weeks, but now it's having the typical defect where it will begin playing the disc normally, but then go back to the start of the disc, and not play any further unless I take off the top cabinet & nudge the servo gear, and then it plays better. I ordered the belt from CED Magic in Portland, Oregon thru a self-addressed envelope, and I stretched it on a 1" dowel for six months, like the instructions suggested.

Typically, it plays fine on most CEDs, but I've tried playing another disc that simply refuses to play longer than the first minute, and when I nudge the servo gear with my finger, it plays too fast & skips several minutes of the content.

Here is my question: Will lubrication of the servo motor & gears help with this problem, and is there something else I should do? I have already lubricated the turntable, so it works fine I also own the service manual for my player, and it has instructions on lubricating the function lever detent, the arm drive gears, and the transducer assembly, which I don't know how to do. Those instructions are vague, so could any one help me with this step?

I really appreciate all of the help that I've received on here, so thanks to every one!

Last edited by lynx on Mon Feb 07, 2022 9:02 am; edited 1 time in total
jsdspif

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the steel rod that the cartridge arm moves along,you could put some lube on that. I'd just put a few drops and spread it around with your finger,fast advance thru a disc or manually just move it back and forth, I can't remember if you can do it that way,so somehow move it back and fortha couple times and then wipe it with your finger again and repeat,I'd say you want such a thin film that you'd think there is none there. I think the problem would be dust build up on it. I have some sort of dry lubricant stuff but I'm not convinced of how well that works. I also have a garage door spray lube that isn't supposed to attract dirt that may work also.
As for not going a minute and then fast advnce /skipping to me it sounds like the stylus acting up. As for lubing the other stuff Maybe just a dab of something on the gears,I think the transducer is just raising and lowering styus and there's like a white grease on that mechanism,onj mine there was plenty in there and still greasy so I just spread it on to the area where it had rubbed off. It could also maybe be that disc is dirty or has a defect right near the start of play.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: